The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin to buy my first flintlock. My local gun shop has a used 54 cal. Pedersoli forntier rifle and an unfired 54 cal. Lyman Great plains rifle. I like the looks of the frontier rifle, but I've heard they have had lock problems. I would like your opinions on both rifles and what you think might be the better choice. Thanks in advance for your all your help.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have looked st and held the Pedersoli but have not shot one, but with that said I have a couple Lymans and never a problem.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Have been around the Pedersolis and not seen any issues. I own Lymans including the GPR and like'em.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have three Lyman .54 flintlocks with zero troubles. I sure like the look of the Mortimer .54 that I think Pedersoli sells.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
You may already be aware of this but just in case since you are new to ML, Lyman makes the Great Plains Rifle and the Great Plains Hunter, boxes for both are labelled in big letters Great Plains Rifle, the end tab then specifies hunter or rifle. The Rifle is slow twist for roundball and the Hunter is fast twist for conicals. Sometimes people unknowingly call the hunter a rifle. Just want to make sure you are in fact looking at a GPR. I have the GPH and it is very good with conicals. Just FYI.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I ordered a Lyman Trade Rifle and just picked it up last week.I haven,t shot it yet,but I am impressed on the build quality and the workmanship.Plus they are priced good.My .54 Trade rifle was $381 out the door.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have the Lyman 54 cal Great Plains---it was my starter in flintlocks---great production gun--will be my sons for next season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts