The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these pear trees about 5 year ago from a gardening department store in the fall at a reduced price. Guy said they were fruit bearing. They have grown over the years but never produced fruit. Can I ever expect them to produce fruit?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ok, maybe I'm wrong about this, but, I seem to have read somewhere that for polination, you need 2 different pears. If both are the same variety, they may not grow pears.

You have blossoms, once they drop their petals, check to see if they set fruit.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will buy that. But how can my father's only pear tree produce fruit? He does have an apple tree and peach tree in his yard. Are they benefiting from cross polination? By the way his trees were all planted after mine and he has seen pears, apples and peaches.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
There are pears that are self pollinating, but not all are.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I was almost certain Bartlett pears will self pollinate but produce better if another variety helps to pollinate. In fact, I have some that do.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
The Bartlett Pear tree produces a pear that is bright yellow. It is the nations leading pear variety. They tend to bear fruit for up to 50 to 75 years on a good site. The fruit is aromatic and is outstanding for fresh eating. Along with its very sweet and juicy flavor for eating, it is widely used for canning and cooking because of its excellent taste.

The Bartlett Pear trees are self-pollinating, however a pollinator will help the tree bare better fruit. They do require bees to help pollinate. Bartlett Pears do not ripen properly on the tree, so growers pick the fruit when it is mature but green.

http://www.fruit-trees.org/pages/pear-trees/bartlett-pear.php

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pear trees take awhile to start bearing fruit. I forget the number off the top of my head but I do not think its uncommon for a 5 year old pear tree to not be setting fruit. It will also depend on what rootstock the tree is grafted to.

·
20,126 Posts
I've got two pears entering their 5th summer now. I Barlett and a Moonglow. Neither have produced much of anything and I veiw both as pretty immature and am not too concerned about it. I figure in the next couple years they will begin to 'grow up' and start producing. Fruit as a whole, in general, don't really start to produce anything until after the 4th year and even though they are still so young.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
My 11 year old Dwarf Pear Tree (can't remember the type) produced it's first Pears last season. Just planted a Kiefer, and they require no cross-pollenation.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the lesson guys. maybe I will get another kind of pear tree to maybe help my situation. I did plant these in woods so maybe not enough bees are frequenting the blossums. But they may not be mature enough so only time will tell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a very old pear tree at camp(old farm) that has never had fruit; there are three 25ft. volunteers nearby that have also nerver produiced fruit. Kind of frustrating.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: pear trees update with pics

upon my memorial day visit to camp I checked on the two trees and found this

there is not a lot of them but it tells me they are capable

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Re: pear trees update with pics

I planted just one.So why do they call it a pear?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: pear trees updated again

just got back from camp and checked on my trees, very pleased with the results. Never had a pear on them until this year, not sure if it was because I pruned them and the energy went to the remaining blossums which produced the fruit or it was just time. But here is some pics

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Re: pear trees updated again

Buddy of mine finally got pears on his trees and he thinks coons climb them and eat them. I don't know, but they never get ripe enough to drop, just disappear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts