The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plant some pears in the spring. where is a good place to get trees that will not break the bank?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
"...that will not break the bank" is relative, but I've gotten grafted pears from both Cummins Nursery and Adams County Nursery. They will run at least $20+ per tree unless you are ordering a large quantity. I consider that a decent price for the quality of trees that I've received from both, but I don't know your budget. Wildlife Group also sells a number of 'deer pears' that are grafted trees, but I haven't tried them since they are a southern nursery, the cost is still $25/tree shipped when you buy one of their packages of five trees, and if I'm spending the same money anyway, I'd prefer to plant pears that I can enjoy too. If you go the nursery route, you will probably want to get your order in very soon, as the popular varieties often sell out early.

I bought one Keiffer from Tractor Supply last summer on clearance; think I still may have paid $18 or so, and while their trees are grafted, it's tough to say exactly what sort of root stock you are getting. If you watch closely at the big box stores next summer, you can possibly find a clearance deal on some trees, but that won't usually happen before late spring, at best, so a little late for your spring planting plans.

Sometimes the PGC has pear seedlings (not grafted), but I don't see them listed on the 2018 list on their site. Those would be less costly per tree if they had them, but they are much smaller than the nursery stock mentioned above, and whether individual trees produce good fruit is anyone's guess since, like apples, pears aren't "true to seed".

If you are going the seedling route, you could also start your own from seed.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I have had good luck with lowe's trees and the keiffer pears drop relatively late. If they die within a yr you can take them back.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
I got some wild pear trees from nativ nurseries about 2 years ago. Nice trees, but the cicadas did a number on them being small. Set them back a year or 2. I didn't know that cicadas would do that or I would have covered them.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also looked up the arbor day foundation. might have to mix and match! I got 2 spots on my property picked out. chainsaw comes out next weekend to "open things up"!

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've planted a lot of Tractor Supply trees and last year got a few from Rural King.

They have been better than anything else I've put in the ground from other sources. I'm thinking they were all in the $25 per tree range.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Believe it or not, the best pear trees I ever got were from Big Lots.

Got Bartletts and Moonglows. They all grew, every year. Bummer is, they quit selling them at my local store two years ago...................

I'm looking for another good source, myself.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been very happy with the pears I put in from Cummins but I would buy bare root pears from the other big nurseries, Stark, Adams County, Fedco, Raintree, or Grandpa's. I would recommend you spend some time researching which varieties they offer are disease problems (NOT Bartlett) and ripening times. A good choice for deer that only some offer is Kieffer. Kieffer is disease resistant and later ripening. Potted Kieffer are often available locally from HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Agway, etc.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ordered 25 tree tubes from forestry supply. might as well get ready for spring!

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you change your planting to fall you will get some better deals. Typically the big blue and orange stores cut their prices near the end of the season to get rid of them. I picked up 3 pear and 3 apple trees last fall for $12.99 each.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If your looking for seedlings, you can try the Virginia Dept of Forestry. https://www.buyvatrees.com/
They have Bartlett seedlings for $2 each.
About $15 shipping costs.
I have never purchased from them, but the price is right. I've planted pear tree seedling in the past from the PA game commish, and they do grow fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts