The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
20,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never quite figured it out and unfortunately messed this one up from the start. I used to think that all fruit trees are pruned to an open center but apparently pears are not. So how would you experienced guys prune this one??????

The struggle I've always had is that pear branches always tend to just grow straight up in the air and I've never been able to find anything worth while on the internet about pruning them. Suggestions for doing the best I can with what I have would be appreciated. Critiszm I can live without as I already know it's messed up lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was suggested to me to cut everything growing vertically. I think that's more the norm for apple trees, but so far so good with my pear tree.

·
20,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to but EVERYTHING on a pear grows vertical haha. The non vertical branches you see were 'trained' by me.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There is nothing wrong with pruning fruit trees to an open center. It is now primarily done with peach trees, whereas apple and pear are trained/pruned to a central leader. The vertical sucker growth is pretty normal.

Continue to thin out/prune any growth growing up, down, or in to the center no matter the age. If it's an older tree and it is at its mature height, you are mainly pruning to maintain and shape the tree. If it 5 or so years or younger, reduce any new growth by 30% or so, and prune to an outward facing leaf bud.

If you have excessive sucker growth, there are a few things to do to reduce it. You can try to do less heading cuts as this tends to stimulate vertical growth on that branch. Second, hold off on any fertilizer right after pruning. Third, do some pruning in the summer. Winter pruning encourages growth; light summer pruning discourages growth.

I would recommend Penn State's home orchard guide. You can find it online or buy a copy. It's a really cool book and it will help you, I promise. Good luck with your pears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts