The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never planted a peach tree. My TSC just got a shipment in. Does anyone plant them? Are they easy to grow? Do they produce fruit easily? Do the deer target them?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can’t answer your 1st few questions but the house we bought 12 years ago has a peach tree. It has fruit every year and I do nothing to it. I’m guessing I could get more if i paid attention to it.

And yes, the deer love it. Once the peaches are ripe, they are standing on their hind legs and pulling them down. My tree is completely empty right now, it never makes it into fall

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I'd have to move closer to Lake Erie, lucky to have apples some years. One clear cold night in May and no apples, spotty this year too.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
Most potted peach trees from the big box stores should produce fruit in two years after planting. ( They are all dwarf or semi dwarf stock ). They blossom extremely early, but once the fruit is set at blossom, they’ll withstand frosts ( not a hard freeze ). Almost every common variety sold are self pollinating , so they don’t need companion planting. I’ve never had deer nip at my trees, but I keep some kennel fencing wrapped around the trunks to keep bucks from rubbing on them, and rabbits from chewing.

Although my peach tree bear well, I’ve found them to be short lived. About 20-25 years tops. I lost one at camp this year.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
I planted peach and plum 10 years ago and have yet to get any fruit. Brown rot every year no matter how much I spray of prune. Trees will set fruit then the brown rot gets them.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
You need to spray them twice while in bloom with Captan. If you have leaf curl, you'll have to spray before bud swell with Ferbam.

Peaches bloom and set fruit on the previous years growth, so peaches need extensive pruning each year; peaches cant be pruned while dormant like apples, they need to be pruned once the sap is flowing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've seen them grown commercially as far north as Northern IL and WI, so there shouldn't be any reason you cant grow them in your area. I would just check to make sure the variety at TSC is hardy to zone 5. I would assume they ordered the right variety but would double check. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Personally I would never buy fruit trees from a box store, no guarantee you are getting what is labeled. Plenty of quality mail order nurseries to buy from that will ensure you get what you ordered.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
Never plated pear trees , but planted several apple trees and they`re doing fine. But I would thin it would be the same as apple trees. As far as planting and maintenance of them. When we we moved to Lancaster , near 51 years ago . There was 2 small pear trees in the yard at the bottom of the driveway. Still producing pears.

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
I cant get a peach tree to last any length of time. They produce well after maybe two years, then in another two or so, they die. This is with both store bought stock, and transplants from my neighbors yard (where they grow well). Cant speak for deer, but groundhogs love those little golf ball size peaches. They would actually climb the trees to get them.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I would never buy fruit trees from a box store, no guarantee you are getting what is labeled. Plenty of quality mail order nurseries to buy from that will ensure you get what you ordered.
I've had great success with pear trees from Lowes and chestnuts from Rural King. Never bought from TSC.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't think I'd ever specifically invest any resources into growing peach trees for deer. Much more of a hassle than the reward would be worth.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
A guy we knew years ago set up in several farmer markets and sold meat. He told us once he had several peach trees at his home. His wife , kids and him went on vacation just about time they were just about ripe. When they came home they were going to pick them. There wasn`t a peach on the trees . The neighbors came in and picked them and never gave him any of them to him. It made him so mad , that he cut down everyone of the trees down and never grew any after that. Probably never spoke to them either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts