The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here try shooting Power Belts from a flinter with blackpowder ?I got a Lyman DeerSlayer flintlock with 1-48 twist.I like PRB, but really would like a bullet.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
They shoot extremely well in my renegade 1:48, taken quite a number of deer and 1 elk with them. I use the 245 in the renegade and either the 295,338, or 348 in my Lyman flint 1:32.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any down side to useing them ? I've taken deer with them from my T/C caplock w/ a GM 1-28 twist bbl and Triple 7.Was wondering if blackpowder has any ill effects on the plastic base.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ratgunner everyone that I hunt with that has a flinter use's powerbelts including myself. They do seem to be more accurate than round balls but that could just be me.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
No issues at all with BP. I think their nemesis is penetration with high velocity. I hit a quartering doe at about 20 feet, over 1600fps. There was no exit so I wanted to recover the bullet. I couldn't find it even after going through everything with my fingers. I skinned and butchered the deer where it laid and came back with my metal detector. Went over the hide, carcass, and guts. No bullet but there were small lead shavings throughout everything, it disintegrated. Based on that experience I used the platinum PB for the elk. It did well enough but didn't exit on a perfect broadside hit at about 60yds, found under the far hide. With your deerslayer and bp wouldn't expect velocity over 1500 and on deer it should do well.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here,I shot two deer with 240 PB and both were fragmented and no exits.Gonna try the heavier ones.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I have used Powerbelts when I used an inline.They are more designed for shallow rifling.They will work.I have killed deer with Maxi's,Powerbelts,and roundballs.None were any deader than the other when hit in the vitals.All gave good blood trails.I don't use the conicals for hunting for the simple reason they do shift of the powder charge if the barrel in carried down.Have to check often to make sure they stay down on that charge.If its raining I carry my muzzle down to keep the rain out.Another reason is Powerbelts cost around $15/20 rounds.If you buy RB's they are about $8/100 rounds.
A properly patched RB is just as accurate if not more accurate and kill just as well.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
----RB have gone up the last two years....$12 but still much cheaper!

·
Banned
900 Posts
I shoot the 245 aeroptips in front of 5gr 3f BP and 90gr. 2f 777. I shot a 200lb boar with it and it did fragment with small exit but put it down instantly. I have found that the damage done has outweighed the times where there was no exit wound. Took 2 doe last year, 1 at 8yds through neck and one at 103yds. quartering facing, Both exited and no issues.

I did have issues with the hollow points. On several occasions the seemed to mushroom and do little damage without very deep penetration. Lost a trophy buck this way and then changed to the aerotips which seemed to give the penetration I wanted. I shoot all these from a GP hunter barrel.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There is one guy in our group that shoots a TC PA hunter carbine with the 245 grain Power belts and he uses 60 grains of powder. The guy never misses; kicks em up and bang flop everytime. One year he was right beside me in some real thick stuff and up hops this deer taking off as fast as it could; old Duane smacks em on the second bound. Down and out right there. I never shot them in my rifle but I don't think you want to push em too fast; they are soft and expand no matter what; if you don't push real fast they will probably exit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use them in my Lyman 54 flinter over 90 grains of 777. They shoot well and I have never had problems with ignition. They can be easily pulled from the barrel at the end of the day with a ball puller since they have a hollow point.

I killed a mature doe two years ago with it. It fragmented, but I hit her high and spined her. Fragments penetrated the lungs and she did go right down. The PB did make a mess of the front third of one backstrap. My daughter was ticked about that. She loves backstraps and noodles.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Jester - 5 grains of BP? Never thought to do that....I assume you get faster ignition, right? Probably not much BP residue with small amount of BP. Interesting...you always learn something when you visit HPA!! Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts