The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out the first time since my shoulder surgery yesterday. Just started driving again on Fri. Lots of Paw Paw groves in the area I was in. I've never seen Paw Paws hanging like this in all the years I've been hunting up there. You could fill a 5 gallon bucket in some spots. I was picking up fruits you couldn't wrap a hand around.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We have a lot of it on our property. And yes, lots hanging on the trees and on the ground. We got a nice bag of them yesterday.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Treemouse, wish I had that problem,lol. Pick them and enjoy!
Well wishes on the shoulder healing. If you need help carrying those buckets of pawpaws let me know

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I tried the paw paw seed from Kentucky that was offered last year. Three sprouted and I planted them in good soil in pots. None have put up a leaf or stem.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4c they're right on the mountain overlooking I81 on this side of the river. They're all over the gamelands up there. I usually just fill a fanny pack or my bdu pockets. I ate about 5-6 of those big ripe ones yesterday and had that mess all over my face, hands and machete.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I saw a couple paw paw trees holding fruit today on the Cornell campus in Ithaca, NY. Located down in a wooded area along a little stream. I think most of them had already dropped fruit.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
treemouse said:
4c they're right on the mountain overlooking I81 on this side of the river. They're all over the gamelands up there. I usually just fill a fanny pack or my bdu pockets. I ate about 5-6 of those big ripe ones yesterday and had that mess all over my face, hands and machete.
Which Game lands?

I'm interested!

Paw Paws are GREAT Eats!!!!

You referring to the Game Lands off Tower?

If So, that doesn't come out and over look the River!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Woody, its the bottom edges of SGL 170. They got the area around Tower Rd. all posted up. I hunt a lot out of the parking lot on top of Lambs Gap. Either side of the road there's Paw Paw groves. You can't miss them.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
This spring was my 3rd round at trying to get paw paw seedlings to grow. First two tries were complete failure. The ones I planted this spring.............let's just say they haven't all died yet. But they SURE aren't thriving. Planted persimmon seedlings in some of my poorer soils (saving better areas for the paw paws) and they shot up nicely. The very BEST of the paw paws put on a couple to a few leaves...........

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
treemouse said:
Yep Woody, its the bottom edges of SGL 170. They got the area around Tower Rd. all posted up. I hunt a lot out of the parking lot on top of Lambs Gap. Either side of the road there's Paw Paw groves. You can't miss them.
Thanks

I Love them and my Mom wants some to eat this year.

Dad and I used to have contests in Archery Season and Paw Paws were Ripe to see who could find the most seeds in 1 while eating them.

Mom and I were driving to Duncannon 2 weeks ago and we saw a mess of Paw Paw Trees along 11&15 right before Perdix but they did not have any paw paws on them!

I keep Gathering seeds almost every year and planting them over here on the east side of the river to get them growing in my area I hunt, but they do not grow for some reason!!

I been spreading seeds for atleast the past 10 years and not a 1 has sprouted!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can order paw paw seedlings from the Missouri state nursery. I have purchased paw paw, persimmon, hazlenut, and other stuff from them. Not as cheap as PGC seedlings but the seedlings are larger. They should be accepting orders soon.
http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/seedling-orders-and-planting-guide/seedling-order-how

Some other states sell paw paw seedlings too and grafted trees can be bought too if looking for better tasting paw paws for the back yard.

Kentucky State U. does paw paw research. Here is their page on growing paw paws: http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm. Might help your efforts at growing from seed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for link, would love to plant several of those species on the Missouri site, with the property to do so, of course. $.80 per seedling great investment.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been throwing seeds in the wooded hollow behind my yard for years. Don't see any growing yet either.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If the seeds dry out, germination goes way down. It is also a big seed that might get eaten by rodents. Try getting them to germinate after stratification in your fridge. Then direct seed but protect with a tin can or similar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts