The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any luck planting Paw Paw trees?Where is a good place to get them and how long did it take them to mature?I have read that they like the shade or start them off with a shade tree fabric for a couple of years.Just thinking about my list to plant next year and wanted some info on these.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I am not sure paw paw trees would do well as far north as Bradford, PA... I have only found them growing in the wild in far southern PA. But if you have the cash to take a risk, go for it...

I have several planted on our hunting property in southern Bedford County, near the MD line. They have done well, with them all being in excess of 15 feet and producing fruit.

We purchased our trees from http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/ We got 5 'Davis' cultivars, 5 'Mango' cultivars and 5 straight wild paw paws. All have done well, but the Davis and Mango do seem to produce more and larger fruit. The deer do not browse the leaves and don't appear to eat the fruit. However the bears, coons, possums and squirrels seem to fight tooth and nail for them. I love the fruit as well. Tastes like a banana custard. VERY GOOD!

·
Registered
228 Posts
westonhunter said:
Anyone here have any luck planting Paw Paw trees?Where is a good place to get them and how long did it take them to mature?I have read that they like the shade or start them off with a shade tree fabric for a couple of years.Just thinking about my list to plant next year and wanted some info on these.
I planted several 3 years ago. Two I planted near the house and they are about 3' tall. Two which I planted in the woods are about 1' tall and not growing nearly as well as those near my house. I'd heard that deer do not browse Paw Paw but had one eaten almost to the ground and fenced them after that. The trees were potted and I got them from Millers Nursery in NY.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts