The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find Paw Paw saplings or seeds? I would like to get some of these. Maybe wrong time of year but I have heard that Arbor Day Foundation had them. I have not had very much luck with anything from Arbor Day Foundation

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Missouri's state nursery normally has pawpaw seedlings. Their catalog won't be out until September 1, so we won't know for sure until then, but they've had them the past number of years. I haven't bought pawpaws from them, but all other seedlings I got from them over the years have been excellent.

Last Fall's Catalog:

https://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/downloads/SeedlingOrderForm.pdf

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Your profile gives your location as NE PA.

If that is true, you might want to check into whether or not they are likely to grow in your location.

This Wikipedia entry has a range map. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba

They seem to like mild climates. They are in southeast PA.

A botany geek here in Centre County told me that he said he found some paw paws in Mifflin County, but never any in Centre Country or anywhere further north.

I think they are unlikely to grow where the climate is cold or where the soils are infertile.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have never seen them growing here but in neighboring Wayne County I have heard they do grow. Maybe I have to get the correct strain. Thanks to the above links I will check them out.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Just doing some Googling, I found a reference to "Canadian paw paws." And also a website that listed paw paws as being native to southern Ontario.

That's surprising to me, and interesting.

So yes, maybe if you get the right variety, it will work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have Missouri MDC paw paws growing in Columbia county. Pretty inexpensive, 25 trees for $10. All of their stuff has looked nice and done well for us. Very good value.

As for Ontario's climate, some of it is pretty mild being located along the lake between NY and Michigan.

If you can get fruit from some local trees, you can grow your own from seed. I grew quite a few from seed collected from an old patch planted on Cornell U. Don't let the seeds dry out, moist stratify the seed over the winter in the refrigerator. Once you plant the seed, it can take a long time for it germinate, grow a big taproot, and then start showing top growth. It would be ideal to plant in the final location if you can protect the seed from rodents. It is a big seed so quite attractive to mice and squirrels. I started mine in pots indoors.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I hope to get the seeds from this area in the fall. Your tips on how to stratify and appreciated. I did check on the Paw Paw from Canada and on one site they wanted $100 per sapling.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have Missouri MDC paw paws growing in Columbia county. Pretty inexpensive, 25 trees for $10. All of their stuff has looked nice and done well for us. Very good value.

As for Ontario's climate, some of it is pretty mild being located along the lake between NY and Michigan.

If you can get fruit from some local trees, you can grow your own from seed. I grew quite a few from seed collected from an old patch planted on Cornell U. Don't let the seeds dry out, moist stratify the seed over the winter in the refrigerator. Once you plant the seed, it can take a long time for it germinate, grow a big taproot, and then start showing top growth. It would be ideal to plant in the final location if you can protect the seed from rodents. It is a big seed so quite attractive to mice and squirrels. I started mine in pots indoors.
Have any more you can share? :smile2:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found some on Craigs List and very reasonable. Then when they tried to dig it the tap root was so long they couln't get it out. I am looking for seeds now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts