The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have much luck getting these to take hold in 2D ??

I've tried persimmon several times and paw paw a couple times with little to no success. Trying it one last time this spring (have the seedlings ordered along with some pecan) and wondered if there was some secret to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have some paw paw seedlings in buckets from last year i am hoping to plant in 2D. My uncle has gotten seeds from trees by Templeton so they will grow in the area. I am hoping to get mine planted soon and see how they do.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some paw paw seedlings in buckets from last year i am hoping to plant in 2D. My uncle has gotten seeds from trees by Templeton so they will grow in the area. I am hoping to get mine planted soon and see how they do.
Thanks !!!

Do you know what type of location the trees in Templeton are in ?? Full sun ?? Full or partial shade ?? Level ?? Hillside ?? Whatever..... ??

·
Registered
712 Posts
For what it’s worth, it looks like we are right on the edge of their natural range. I can’t recall seeing any this far north though. The ones I’ve seen have been south of Cumberland growing on the banks of the Potomac as understory trees.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine that's a good bit of it. According to the growing zone chart, I should be good. But I've tried a variety of planting locations to no success.

I received my seedlings (wasn't overly impressed with the roots they came with) last week and they are in...…………...in good, well-drained, rich soil. If THESE ones don't grow, I'm not trying it again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They are on a hillside. I have never been under them so I do not know what the soil is like or if there is a spring keeping the ground moist etc.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Anyone have much luck getting these to take hold in 2D ??

I've tried persimmon several times and paw paw a couple times with little to no success. Trying it one last time this spring (have the seedlings ordered along with some pecan) and wondered if there was some secret to it.
What elevation are you at? In the northern part of their range, they grow in lower elevations, near rivers, but not so much in upland areas.

Because the climate is milder down near the rivers than on the uplands.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Last Paw Paw tree I've noticed in this area was about 15 yrs along the Allegheny near Philipston. Actually got to eat some of the fruit from that one.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What elevation are you at? In the northern part of their range, they grow in lower elevations, near rivers, but not so much in upland areas.

Because the climate is milder down near the rivers than on the uplands.
The trees are at about 1250 feet, I'd guess. Fairly full sun on a northern exposure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts