The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple years I've been using a Benelli NOVA with a Carlson turkey choke and shooting 3.5" Kent Diamondshot #6's. After seeing my 40 yard pattern with that setup. I decided to put some time into really patterning my shotgun with a new primos choke.

After patterning quite a mixed bag of turkey loads through this setup, I decided it was coming down to 1 of three loads.

I decided to take those three best loads and pattern them at 20, 30-35, and 40-42 yards.

I'm asking for some help. Which load would you go with from the patterning results.

P.S.: I'm a pretty steady shot, and also shot at these distances many times over a 2 week period, and these are the average results that I'm showing.

The order will be Kent #6's at 20, 32, and 40
Winchester Supreme #5's at 20, 32, and 40
Kent #5's at 20, 34, and 40.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">3.5" Kent #6's </span></span>

20 yds

34 Yards

40 yards

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Winchester Supreme #5's</span></span>

20 Yards

32 Yards

40 Yards

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">3.5" Kent Diamond Shot #5's</span></span>

20 Yards

32 Yards

40 Yards

What do you guys think?!?

My instinct is to go with the Winchester Supreme #5's even though they have slightly less pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards than the Kent #6's.

All comments, suggestions, and advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
All will do the job, but id go with Winchester Supreme #5's. Not by much, but the pattern looks to be opening a little more with the Kents.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
That would be Win 5's for me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Winchesters look better.

Honestly---Go to Walmart and get a box of "Turkey Thugs" from Federal to try. They go for ~$10 a box and have been shooting outstanding for many people. I have yet to see a negative review on other forums with them. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WildSpur said:

Honestly---Go to Walmart and get a box of "Turkey Thugs" from Federal to try. They go for ~$10 a box and have been shooting outstanding for many people. I have yet to see a negative review on other forums with them. JMHO.
Cool, thank you. Ill look into that load. I don't see myself killing a bird in the spots that I hunt any further than 35 yds. Do you think there's room for improvement in my pattern at the closer two distances to warrant tryin more loads? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mfuff said:
That would be Win 5's for me.
pahick said:
All will do the job, but id go with Winchester Supreme #5's. Not by much, but the pattern looks to be opening a little more with the Kents.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
444 Posts
DrakesOnly said:
WildSpur said:

Cool, thank you. Ill look into that load. I don't see myself killing a bird in the spots that I hunt any further than 35 yds. Do you think there's room for improvement in my pattern at the closer two distances to warrant tryin more loads? Appreciate it.
Under 30 yards not really. Almost any load will hold tight to 30. Leads demise is 30-40 yards. Definitely room for improvment at 40 yards.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The winchesters would get my vote. As said before check out the turkey thug ammo, I'm seeing amazing patterns from them on other forums.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
+3 on the turkey thugs. Get a box of the 6's, or a box of the winchester supreme 6's. if you don't want to shoot anymore, I'd hunt with the supreme 5's and not lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Are these through the new Primos you mentioned or the old choke?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
captin_hook said:
The winchesters would get my vote. As said before check out the turkey thug ammo, I'm seeing amazing patterns from them on other forums.
Borden811 said:
+3 on the turkey thugs. Get a box of the 6's, or a box of the winchester supreme 6's. if you don't want to shoot anymore, I'd hunt with the supreme 5's and not lose any sleep over it.
Cool Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Matt, I always want to shoot more and I'll grab the Turkey Thugs in 5's and 6's, and some Win Supreme 6's and see what happens. I should have made a federal product part of the original pattern session, but federal loads patterned so poorly out of my Carlson choke that I had just dicounted them all together. Thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MQ-1 said:
Are these through the new Primos you mentioned or the old choke?
These patterns are coming out of the Primos choke I bought on Friday night. I didn't keep any of my pattern sheets from the other choke. They had good dense patterns in the closer ranges, but really dwindled out quick after 35. I also just took a "what the heck" shot at 50 yards based on some discussion about misjudging distances in the "honestly how far do you shoot?" thread and there was only 2 pellets in the head and neck. That is what prompted me to look for another choke.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MQ-1 said:
Is this a Jelly Head choke or?
Yessir, it is. Just curiousity or do you have some thoughts you'd like to share?

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I know all guns perform differently ...that being said I would try some Hevi 13 3" 2 oz 6s or even the 3.5" 2 1/4 oz 6s.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you considered going to a 3 inch shell with a lighter pay load. Just something I'm throwing out there. I have a Remy that shoots better patterns with lighter loads. I know we are talking about 2 different models but if you have the shell laying around give it a try.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
longfellow said:
Have you considered going to a 3 inch shell with a lighter pay load. Just something I'm throwing out there. I have a Remy that shoots better patterns with lighter loads. I know we are talking about 2 different models but if you have the shell laying around give it a try.
I did pattern with 1 three inch shell but perhaps I'll look into a couple others. Thanks for the suggestion.

Those of you who feel you have your turkey gun/choke/load combo working at maximum efficiency... Approximately what are your pellet counts at 35/40 yards?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Deep clean your gun barrel!!!! I have not met a remington shotgun that didn't pattern better after its owner deep cleaned the barrel. Go to allaboutshooting.com for a tutorial. Clark is THE MAN when it comes to getting the best pattern possible from a gun. BTW. All he shoots is 3" Hevi Shot loads, even though most of his guns are chambered for 3 1/2" shells.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
DrakesOnly said:
Those of you who feel you have your turkey gun/choke/load combo working at maximum efficiency... Approximately what are your pellet counts at 35/40 yards?
With my Mossberg 835 shooting 3 1/2" Nitro Company shells (4 X 5 X 7 hevishot) through a Rhino Choke (.695) I can put over 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds.

With my Benelli SBE 2 shooting the same choke/shell combo I can put around 200-210 hits in the circle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts