The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I was just wondering on the distance that you mainly shoot a turkey gun in with a red dot thanks!! I shot mine in at 30 yards and it did really well. I usually don't shoot over 30 yards. I can't really shoot past 30 yards at my range, but was wondering what it would do at say 40-45.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Alot of guys will shoot at 40 yards and count the amount of bbs in a 10 inch circle.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The ten in circle at 40 is pretty much the standard way of comparing chokes and shells, to see what performs best. If you're only going to shoot at 30 when you're hunting, then I don't see a need for you to pattern any farther. But, it's nice to know what your gun will do at farther ranges, even if you'll never shoot a bird that far. I've patterned mine at 60 before, just for fun. I'd never shoot at a bird that far.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
low budget way of doing it is to draw a 2" circle with a sharpy in the middle of paper plates and shoot them starting at 20, 25, 30, 40. my 870 supermag will really lay them into a plate at 40 yards with 3.5" superX #5. unfortunately, all the birds i see are further away than that. one of these days though..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts