The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Those wins are the past players as well!!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
You're correct jakesroost. Why don't we sk the Pennsylvania State Police, Pennsylvania Dept of Public Welfare and The Second Mile Organization that question as well. After all, all those organization investigated allegations made against Sundusky and none of them found him to be doing anything wrong. But, it should have been Joe Paterno's job to investigate and find guilt.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
jakesroost said:
Yippee, How about getting the kids that were assaulted there child hood back?

Did Paterno assault those kids?? Did Paterno see any kids get assaulted? Did Paterno let this pervert have access to PSU buildings. The answer is no.
Did Paterno report a second-hand report of what McQuery told him to his superiors? Yes.

Lots of blame to go around with this case and Paterno has taken plenty.

Taking the wins away was silly. As the NCAA keeps losing court battles and keeps turning over more evidence that they knew they didn't have the authority but could extort money from PSU and take care of one of their biggest critics....Paterno

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Washpa Randy said:
You're correct jakesroost. Why don't we sk the Pennsylvania State Police, Pennsylvania Dept of Public Welfare and The Second Mile Organization that question as well. After all, all those organization investigated allegations made against Sundusky and none of them found him to be doing anything wrong. But, it should have been Joe Paterno's job to investigate and find guilt.
Ask the then attorney general the same thing. He's now our governor, for a few more days, anyway. How did taking the wins from the program help the victims of that monster? All that did was punish the guys who suited up, dealt with the pain of the game, and gave everything they had, as well as punish Paterno for the actions of someone else. If PSU was involved in shady recruiting, yeah, take away the wins. I HIGHLY doubt that Sandusky molesting kids helped their recruiting.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Taking Paternos wins away was a silly reaction to his guilt in this mess. For anyone with the least bit of rationality and objectivity, Paternos legacy is permanently smeared anyway. Why punish players and teams that had nothing to do with it? Paterno was a great football coach who helped many young men. Just because he sullied all that with his conduct in this affair, doesn't take away from what he did accomplish. The good stuff will never ever balance out letting a monster run free, but the good stuff still did happen.

·
Registered
21,034 Posts
Next... Bring the statue back.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Whaler said:
Did Paterno report a second-hand report of what McQuery told him to his superiors? Yes.
Exactly. Go into court sometime with testimony like "Well, this guy told me that this guy told him that he saw this." You won't even beat a ticket for an expired parking meter.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Peppy said:
I heard they put it in the library to remind people to keep quiet.

If the wins are about the players, put their names in the record books and leave Paterno's out.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Paterno will for ever bear a certain degree of shame and blame. To what degree is a personal decision everyone will make for them selves.
Emmert stepped way over the line and should be held accountable, and in my opinion fired. His threat of the "death penalty' only forced a bad situation turn into a circus.
The players and everyone else involved with PS football should not suffer for what happened. I am glad they got the win's back, and restored the post season and scholarships.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Danesdad you say those wins belong to the players don't forget they belong to Sandusky also then.All this over a coach who only won 2 national titles in 45 yrs very few nfl players compared to other big programs. We are Petifile state university PSU

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
If you wish to be taken seriously, please spell pedophile correctly. He also had 5 undefeated seasons. Since at the time, the national championship was decided by arbitrarily voting on it, what more could Paterno have done? Under the playoff system, I am quite confident that the 1994 squad would have won the title. On the field, not the ballot box. Oddly, Paterno was well known for pushing his guys to take their academics very seriously, unlike guys like Bobby Bowden. Paterno did not view the guys as simply football players, they were STUDENT athletes. He realized that very, very few would be able to get by in life based on playing in the NFL, even those who were drafted, so he made sure they had some education to fall back on. He graduated 80 percent of his kids in 2011, most of whom could probably spell. The average graduation rate in Division I was 56%.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Buckethead said:
Peppy said:

If the wins are about the players, put their names in the record books and leave Paterno's out.
Fitting place since he plunked down a lot of money to build the place.

What happened with Sandusky was wrong on so many levels that extended beyond the football program, yet they were the ones that took the hit.
The 60 Mil in fines should have gone directly to the law suites to the victims.
The NCAA was a dog and pony show and was absolutely meaningless. I think they know in court they would lose and their power over all collegiate programs would have lost its fear of sanctions. I am sure dropping any further legal action from PSU or the Paterno family was a condition of the restoration.
So in the end the all powerful NCAA sold out to protect its own hiney, so just like so many accused Joe and the university of keeping quiet to protect their program so did the ruling body.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
If you wish to be taken seriously, please spell pedophile correctly. He also had 5 undefeated seasons. Since at the time, the national championship was decided by arbitrarily voting on it, what more could Paterno have done? Under the playoff system, I am quite confident that the 1994 squad would have won the title. On the field, not the ballot box. Oddly, Paterno was well known for pushing his guys to take their academics very seriously, unlike guys like Bobby Bowden. Paterno did not view the guys as simply football players, they were STUDENT athletes. He realized that very, very few would be able to get by in life based on playing in the NFL, even those who were drafted, so he made sure they had some education to fall back on. He graduated 80 percent of his kids in 2011, most of whom could probably spell. The average graduation rate in Division I was 56%.
Only about 50% of NFL players have a college degree.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
jakesroost said:
All this over a coach who only won 2 national titles in 45 yrs very few nfl players compared to other big programs. We are Petifile state university PSU
Nice try but funny how facts can sometimes get in the way of an agenda.

From 1990 to 2004, PSU was in the top ten of college teams with players in the NFL. Except for 2014, from 2005 to the present, PSU was in the top 16 colleges with players in the NFL. 2014 was ranked 35, think sanctions had anything to do with that?

Except for 2014 (ranked 5th), and 2010 (ranked 4), PSU was ranked in the top three within the B1G. From 1990 to 1994, PSU had or would have the most players from B1G. PSU joined the B1G in 1990 began playing B1G football in 1993.

My source only went to 1990 but I suspect the years from 1966 to 1990 would be very close to these numbers.

BTW: Princeton and Yale have the most recognized National Championships.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Buckethead said:
Peppy said:

Again, Sandusky was investigated by the Pennsylvania State Police and The Pennsylvania Depart,ent of Public Welfare after one of he mothers made a complaint and had a recording of a conversation with Sundusky. Neither of those professional bodies found anything to press charges. Yet, a football coach is supposed to be the responsible party for this animal.

FYI, funny joke about the statue. It was hilarious the first 1,000 times you posted it, too.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Yes. The football coach is most definitely culpable in the monster running free in this sad affair. His actions are absolutely indefensible and he should be forever looked down on for his part in the whole mess.

That said, he was a good football coach and did have a higher graduation rate than most in his profession. That is commendable. Hitler was nice to his dogs too.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Washpa Randy said:
Again, Sandusky was investigated by the Pennsylvania State Police and The Pennsylvania Depart,ent of Public Welfare after one of he mothers made a complaint and had a recording of a conversation with Sundusky. Neither of those professional bodies found anything to press charges. Yet, a football coach is supposed to be the responsible party for this animal.
Mobsters walk free all of the time, not because they are not guilty, not because they are saints, but because their organizations keep their mouths shut.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
As from the beginning, football trumps all.

Lost in all of this is the victims the athletic department ignored and covered up. That includes Patron.

Shameful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts