The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am in the market for a patch knive. And I really don't know for sure what I want to buy. I have been looking at some smaller neck knives.

I also think a Damascus knive would be nice. And from what I have been told they take a pretty sharp edge.

I am not real good at putting an edge on a knive. But I would like to learn.

I am also considering a small folder. Which one do you guys like the best??

Please show me some pictures of your patch and neck knives. Or anything else you think might work for me. Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I used a patch knife on perhaps two outings. It was just a plain carbon steel paring knife from Hickory Forge. It had been fancied up a bit and care was taken to only sharpen one side of the blade. Which I read somewhere was proper for patch knives, but darn if I know why. It has been in it's sheath for about twenty years. There is a guy around here called Tuffy that makes some fancy blades for buckskinners. I haven't seen him since March. Wouldn't know how to contact him. He is a member of the Tomahawks here in Eastern York County.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Just got a neck knife for my birthday made by a guy in Indiana, last name White? Curly maple handle, looks nice. Don't have any idea on $ but I hear he sells on ebay?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts

Top knife is ground from a car spring

Middle knife, leg bone, was given to me by a good friend who has since passed.

Bottom knife I made from a file.

Loading block on the left is for my .50's, on the right is for my .40

You want a patch knife to cut the patch clean, as you can see on the .40 loading block the knife wasn't sharp and made for a very ragged patch.

As was posted an old straight razor makes a great patch knife.

·
Registered
575 Posts
As for sharpening a knife, I used to be really bad at it till I used a Lansky sharpening system. Once I got the angle right I can literally put a razor edge on my hunting knives. I love the Lansky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts