The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many hunters pass up good shot opportunities on public land deer? How many did you this year? Please respond with how many and what sex as well as the seasons. Please no specific SGL #'s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,313 Posts
3 shot opportunities 30 yds or less for mature does standing broadside or walking during 2nd week rifle. At least a dozen during archery. Have not seen a legal buck this year but there is still time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,911 Posts
I spent all of archery season with my 10 year old.He killed a couple doe but I never carried a bow until the first week of November.I passed a huge buck chasing a doe but he was slightly out of range.I ended up killing a decent 8 point about a minute later.The day before I passed a small 6 point and had two small dinks under me.Other than the two does my son shot,I never had another doe in range during archery season.Rifle season I shot a bunch of doe and passed up even more because I only feel like dealing with so many dead deer each day.I still have two tags and most likely won't even try to fill them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I have passed on medium size bucks numerous times on State Land. Some years I am very selective, but some years I will opt for the first legal buck I see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
My deer hunting is done on almost all public land.. I've never passed on a legal buck unless I didn't have a killing shot. I've passed up many antlerless deer based on size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
I passed on a small doe at 30 yards in archery. Passed 3 does in rifle to get a better look at the buck that was with them. He got a pass as well. I usually dont pass any opportunities but this year has been different for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,072 Posts
This year saw more big bucks than little ones. Big ones are smarter than me and didn't have any real shot opportunities. Buck tag soup again this year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
I'm an "old school" archer I will never shoot a doe(that's bait for the bucks) with my bow except in the late season. I'm also very selective on my bucks, not looking for the biggest but it has to be wall worthy during regular archery. When I was younger (years before AR) I spent 1 season chasing a tall wide thick 4 pointer, didn't get him. Now that I'm older I know that deer had serious potential and I would not target him. Rifle season my standards drop a bit, I seem to have a thing for half rack fighters LOL. Due to the intense pressure we no longer rifle hunt "doe" on public lands here in the SE. About the only time I will take one is if a wounded one comes by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,865 Posts
I honestly couldn't count the number of doe I passed on this season. Had a tag but had a no desire to use it. Passed on 4 legal buck and missed a couple good ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
My deer hunting is done on almost all public land.. I've never passed on a legal buck unless I didn't have a killing shot. I've passed up many antlerless deer based on size.
x2 - I don't eat the antlers, a legal buck to me = vennison.

Doe - if given a choice for shot - I will choose the smaller one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
icemole said:
I'm an "old school" archer I will never shoot a doe(that's bait for the bucks) with my bow except in the late season. I'm also very selective on my bucks, not looking for the biggest but it has to be wall worthy during regular archery. When I was younger (years before AR) I spent 1 season chasing a tall wide thick 4 pointer, didn't get him. Now that I'm older I know that deer had serious potential and I would not target him. Rifle season my standards drop a bit, I seem to have a thing for half rack fighters LOL. Due to the intense pressure we no longer rifle hunt "doe" on public lands here in the SE. About the only time I will take one is if a wounded one comes by.
hmm
going back before AR I too spent 2 seasons chasing a tall wide thick 4 pt.
was one of the biggest racks I ever seen in fact.
the deer itself was big too.
far as I know nobody ever got him as he was on public accessible land
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,752 Posts
I passed up a ten yard shot at a 16" eight pointer at Lake Nockamixon that came by on the exact same trail on Thanksgiving morning, only this time all of his points were broken off except his brows and main beams!!! Might end up kicking myself for it this year!!! Had a bruiser eight pointer come by the same stand, but never presented a shot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Passed up a buck in Moshannon State Forest the first day of rifle because I knew there was a better buck around, harvested that guy at the end of the day. I generally pass up doe until I have an easy shot at a big one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,253 Posts
I passed on a big 10 point in the 125 inch range this season hunting Wayne National Forest in Ohio. It was the first evening of a seven day trip and he walked by my tree at ten yards, I pulled my bow and grunted with my mouth to stop him. I put my pin on his heart and then started thinking about having all week to hunt and let him go. The funny thing is after he walked away about sixty yards I looked at how big the rack looked and tried to grunt him back to my tree.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
813 Posts
I been passing bucks up on public land since I was 18, ( 27 years) some years I passed 20 + bucks before I got a shot at what I considered to be a shooter. And for numerous years the PGC forced me to pass on does until after I harvested my buck. ( if you harvested a doe prior to a buck you couldn't shoot a buck the rest of the year)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
813 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I passed on a big 10 point in the 125 inch range this season hunting Wayne National Forest in Ohio. It was the first evening of a seven day trip and he walked by my tree at ten yards, I pulled my bow and grunted with my mouth to stop him. I put my pin on his heart and then started thinking about having all week to hunt and let him go. The funny thing is after he walked away about sixty yards I looked at how big the rack looked and tried to grunt him back to my tree.
You just didn't want to have to drag him out of that place..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,253 Posts
irishiup said:
Pa.Bone -- Did you end up shooting one on the trip?
No, deer numbers were really down because there were no acorns in the forest this year. I saw a total of ten deer in seven all day sits. But no matter what food is available travel routes never change during the rut. I hunted the same saddle and had 8 bucks and 2 does cross. I passed on the 10pt which I never saw again and another decent 8pt. Had two encounters with a 140+ 8pt that I could not get a clear shot at despite having him at twenty yards one day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,253 Posts
ShedSeeker said:
Pa.Bone said:
I passed on a big 10 point in the 125 inch range this season hunting Wayne National Forest in Ohio. It was the first evening of a seven day trip and he walked by my tree at ten yards, I pulled my bow and grunted with my mouth to stop him. I put my pin on his heart and then started thinking about having all week to hunt and let him go. The funny thing is after he walked away about sixty yards I looked at how big the rack looked and tried to grunt him back to my tree.
You just didn't want to have to drag him out of that place..
That does discourage a lot of people where I hunt, no ATV's are allowed and I hope that never changes. A lot of Wayne is open to ATV's and there is always pressure from groups to open more sections to riding. It usually takes a team effort and a good deer cart to get deer out of some area's and deer are now allowed to be quartered and packed out in Ohio.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top