The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, im a country boy gone city and do everything on my car i can myself..so i took took the jeep for insp to a new place, you need rear brakes, rotors, and should get front brakes. so they say front will pass, i replace rear brakes and there is some rust on brakes ( did i mention its a jeep and i was at jeep fest?) But the rotors looked visually fine...no grooves, no cracks, 60 k miles on jeep just a lil rust on outside like every rotot i ever saw! i think im getting jipped here trying to upsale services not needed? there is no shaking on braking or anything like that..should i call and say i replaced brakes and ask to reconsider the rotors or just go somewhere new? i paid for the insp. so do they reinspect at no charge till it passes? i can go to a lick and stick place while i go home this weekend but part of me wants to show these clowns they didnt pull one over on me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Call them and ask what was wrong with the rotors. Tell them your mechanic says they're fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
The rotors need to be a certain thickness. If they are worn to far the caliper won't push far enough or will travel to far.

You need to know your minim thickness for your vehicle.

Not 100% on this but I think it's correct.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Brakes are one of the biggest rip offs there are! When I 1st got married my wife took her car to a place near her old home and they put brakes on it for insp. The following year after almost ZERO miles(we rode to work together) they once again told her she needed brakes! Never went there again. Also, I just got an oil change and tire rotation done since I had a half off coupon. Guy at the desk tells me my air filter is dirty and do I want it replaced for $40! I say no. Then he shows my and oily spot on a piece of paper and tells me my power steering fluid is breaking down and they caqn flush and replace for $89! I say no. When I am leaving the guy who actually worked on my vehicle comes up and tells me it really doesn't need any of this!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
they tell you something is wrong so you will spend money and they hope you think gee thanks you saved me a break down and maybe a tow bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts