The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally dropped an order for parts for my next build, a .36 cal W. PA style flint. Ordered a J. Armstrong profile stock for a base that is just shaped with only the barrel and ramrod channels inlet. Also ordered barrel, lock, and trigger. The other parts I will order as needed and decide on specifics. I did order a brass butt plate, but it is my 2nd choice. Still going to look for one in german silver that is close enough to use or modify as needed. So far, the butt plate is the only thing that is not German Silver. Everything else is/will be GS.

Still going to shoot for my normal Mid July finish date, but this may take longer since I will have to inlet lock, trigger, and butt plate from scratch. But, also makes me jump up a step in learning on my builds since I had those pre-inlet for me on my last builds. Looking forward to this one a good bit since I'm going a bit "free hand" on style. If it comes out decent, may just do it again in .45 cal, though this will have a bit too much flash for my deer hunting taste. This one will be a squirrel/target/fun rifle as well as used to build on my building knowledge since I am trying some, for me, new a different things

· Registered
1,918 Posts
It sounds like a great project to look forward to over the next several months, and I wish you the best of luck as you proceed through each step. Some photos here for us to follow your progress would be great.

It is a time consuming process, and my only suggestion, based on the hand full I've built, is take you time and think at least twice before you made a cut, a gouge, a rasp stroke, or drill a hole. I speak from experience!:eek:

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggest challenge is trying to find a GS butt plate I want, but will use a brass one if I had to. From what I have researched, it was not uncommon to have a brass one and all else be GS. Also need again to look over what is available in trigger guards in GS. Have looked at a few online and leaning towards 1 or 2, just need to decide. Need to double check bow dimensions to make sure trigger will fit. Even if I have to do a little bit of filing to make sure they fit. Everything else I have picked out and just need to order when the time comes. Lot of inlays on this project. Will decide exactly which ones when it gets closer to that. I have a few I am leaning towards. Barrel is on back order, so I have some more time to decide on that stuff. This one will definitely take a little longer than the last two

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bit of bad news. Parts came in Friday, but I need to send the stock back. It was an M3 from TOW but it really did not have but maybe 50% curl and way too much cathedral grain showing. Too much for me to use. TOW agreed to swap it out with another. Bummer since the last two were nice for the grade I ordered. Does not slow me up any though, since the barrel is on backorder. Gives me time to keep looking for a GS butt plate I can use for this build, even if I need to modify it a little bit. If not, I will just use the brass one I went and ordered anyhow. Can also work on the lock. Have to tweek the pan/frizzen fit a little bit. Can see a tiny bit of daylight where they meet, I pretty much expected that. It trips real nice though. Until then, we have a new yellow Lab pup I need to finish house breaking. May even try and turn her into a little bit of a bird dog. Miss my old Lab. Have not bird hunted since he passed a few years ago. Will see how that goes. Probably more frustrating than the gun build haha. Our Golden Retriever likes her. A new play toy for him.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
This is sounding like a great project. Any plans to try it on turkey next Fall if you get things finished up in time? I used my .36 flinter to do just that this past season and it was one of the coolest harvests to date.

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is one of the uses I have plans for. Just have not gotten the time off to go for fall turkey for the last couple years. May have to just try someplace local if I want to get this one out. I do all my deer/turkey hunting in 2F. Did all my grouse hunting there too

· Registered
1,257 Posts
I hear ya. I travel a good bit to hunt since I am mostly on private land here in Ohio and in PA, as well. Hopefully, you can wear out a fall turkey with it since I'm sure you'll have yourself a fine, accurate gun at the end of this. In the meantime, be sure to post up some squirrel pics when they inevitably come about, and have fun on the build!

· Registered
8,604 Posts
There was a fellow that showed up at the Lancaster Rondys with cast butt plates, trigger guards etc. I believe he had a German name or was German. Rather elderly so I don't know if he is still around. If anyone could supply one in GS, probably him, even if it must be custom made, I think he has the equipment or knows someone that does.

I have a couple of original butt plates from European target muzzle loaders and was thinking about getting some copies wax cast.

· Registered
325 Posts
There was a fellow that showed up at the Lancaster Rondys with cast butt plates, trigger guards etc. I believe he had a German name or was German. Rather elderly so I don't know if he is still around. If anyone could supply one in GS, probably him, even if it must be custom made, I think he has the equipment or knows someone that does.

I have a couple of original butt plates from European target muzzle loaders and was thinking about getting some copies wax cast.

you may be thinking of Reeves Ghering

· Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think I know who you mean. He did not make the CLA show at Morgantown this year due to illness. His daughter was working the table. I always check his table at shows for Bedford buttplates but he's never had any. If he makes it to the Artisan Fair in Feb I'll ask him about a GS Armstrong

1 - 11 of 11 Posts