The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to park along the side of a highway that borders where you hunt?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If it is a state road then NO. The PSP will ticket you or have you towed! If an accident happens because of your vehicle being parked there then you will be cited.

·
Registered
599 Posts
duckman76 said:
If it is a state road then NO. The PSP will ticket you or have you towed! If an accident happens because of your vehicle being parked there then you will be cited.
Don't quote me but I believe your statement is wrong, it should state if it is an INTERSTATE highway, or highway thats states "no parking anytime". (ie: I-80, turnpike) I have parked along I-99 near Bald Eagle and haven't had any problems though.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you park along side the road and an accident happens then you will see how quickly they nail you for the wreck. You can not park along a state road to go hunting. If you are broke down that is one thing you have 24 hours to remove your vehicle. If I am plowing the road and hit your vehicle and you are illegaly parked you are at fault!

·
Registered
599 Posts
duckman76 said:
If you park along side the road and an accident happens then you will see how quickly they nail you for the wreck. You can not park along a state road to go hunting. If you are broke down that is one thing you have 24 hours to remove your vehicle. If I am plowing the road and hit your vehicle and you are illegaly parked you are at fault!
I assume you work for PennDot?! I am parked well off the roadway where you would have to go off the pavement to hit my vehicle, not even close to the berm.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
i am not sure of the accual law but i travel the tunpike quite often and regualry see cars parked in the grass areas along side the road near state land and private land that look like huters and i have yet see a cop stop to ticket or check them out.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I live on a state road now....and theres parking along the side of it.....I dont know about Interstates..but youre allowed to park along a state road, unless its a snow emergency and its a snow emergency route.

Heck SR 24 goes through town after town and theres parking all along that here in York County

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There is no restriction on parking along State Routes, except along limited-access highways. Even then, MOST troopers will not bother you as long as you're quite a ways off the roadway. Obviously, if you're parked with half your vehicle hanging out into a traffic lane, you will have problems, no matter where you're parked.

·
Super Moderator
26,927 Posts
I recall a few years back that the PSP made a lot of money along a stretch of I-80 that runs through the SGL near me. They didn't ticket cars for parking, because this particular spot allows for the cars to get about 20 yards off of the shoulder (I guess technically the cars where parked on the SGL). They wrote many tickets though for cars entering the interstate from a non-access point.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I remember back in the early 60's my friend parked alongside the road we lived on, with one side of his car about 6 inches on the blacktop while checking his trapline, he got ticketed by a State Trooper.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
My old s-10 broke down along route 940 in the poconos- before cell phones. I hiked to a store and by the time I got back it had a tag that the state police put on it that they had checked the vehicle out. In the spot for "condition of vehicle" they checked "poor" If they only knew where that vehicle had been and done in it's lifetime from New to good to fair to "poor". Poor my backside. Go insult someone elses vehicle. "Poor" why I oughta.... anyway a couple of weeks later I got a new one... but the officer was not right...IT WAS NOT IN POOR CONDITION.... so it only ran on three of four cylinders... that's 75%.... and 0ver 200,000 miles.... the thing was just getting broken in..... Keystonepaul

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Must've seen at least three dozen vehicles parked along Rt. 322 today, on my way to Centre County and back again. I would figure most were parked because the owners were turkey hunting. None had tickets on 'em that I could see, all were well off the roadway.

One SUV was backed up into the woods, at least 30 feet from the road. Maybe the troopers were all hunting today, too?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts