The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the family was wondering who I was talking to for so long out on the deck last night, but they were VERY happy to find out when I came in that a second Parker crossbow is joining the family aresnal this week.

Had a great discussion with arrowhead last night on all sorts of topics about hunting, at the end of which was a box being filled with all sorts of goodies:

Parker Enforcer 160 with the Hawke multi-rectical optic,
18 victory bolts,and the string surppressor set for our one year old Tornado which we are nuts about and looking to make even a little better(with the surpressors and victory shafts)

Going to get some more broadheads and lit nocks this summer as we switch over to hunting practice mode so we can find those pass thrus a little easier than last year buried in the leaf clutter and maybe even follow that shot with the naked eye.

Last year I found myself with more willing/practiced hunters than crossbows on a couple Fall Saturdays, although a good problem to have I vowed not to be in that situation this year, especially with a rookie hunter in my daughter, so a top priority was to find another treestand friendly crossbow that had great accuracy, lighter weight, and easier cocking than the Tornado. The plan now is I hope my wife and 12 year old daughter could have a crossbow in one stand , while the son and I could have one in another (or vice versa), and this scaled down Tonrado version fit the bill almost as if Parker knew what my family needed this year.

In addition to the bow season prep, I got a nice Gamo Big Cat 1200 air rifle yesterday from Cabela's ,I need to sight in yet, and I hope it gets thousands of rounds thru it this summer from my youngest child (7) to me...ALL OF US can improve our rifle skills with this gun. Then for the daughter it will be onto the Rem .22 bolt in summer, then onto the H&R single shot .243 by rifle season. Joey will have to settle for graduation to the Henry .22 mini bolt in 2010 and paper and aluminum targets, at least one more year for him as spectator in the stand.

Good times ahead...along with a report on the Enforcer and how it compares to the Tornado. Looking forward to a summer of shooting, and what I hope is a Fall full of gripping and grinning for the troops.

i would of went with another Tornado, but after arrowheads reports, and the fact that I need to still get an in-line ML and another deer rifle this year
I need to save a little where I can.

GO TEAM!!! 2010 a year of the backstraps and boneheads (meaning bucks not my family
) !

I hope to report in on all the practice rounds and hunting excursions, like always, the uncontrolable world around us may want 2010 to be another bad year in American's lives, but I want it to be another good one in ours. Hunting means more than it ever has to the average joe Amercian family, so see ya out there and please get your kids outdoors.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Rb, I'm guessing you like the parkers, I don't know anything about them and I'm thinking about buying another CB. I had a 10 point years ago, can't remember the exact model now, but it was before talk of them becoming legal in Pa. A friend of mine who had shot it, kept badgering me about selling it to him so he could use it out of state and I did. I might have to give these parkers a shot. Goodluck with the new CB and kids.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

To be fair the only other crossbow I ever shot or handled was a Excaliber , and although I would of liked it for myself, it felt too big for my kids and seemed too wide for two in a ladder stand or a pop-up blind so the Parker jumped out and I never looked back.

Accuracy, speed, and two deer dropping in 20 yards last year with well placed shots, one from a nervous 12 year old and one from a calm 41 year old
, I have no reason not to like them or tinker around with others, nothing but accuracy on the range, and short bloodtrails in the field.

I HIGHLY recommend talking to arrowhead on any brand (be sure to set aside a good hour though cause the education is free ..
and not just because he supports this site , but becasue he test shoots all that he carries, finds the right combos and I think has earned his "doctorate" in the science of crossbows from that time he puts in. It is my understanding that Parker prices will be the same everywhere...so why not buy from a guy on HPA everyday and has that much knowledge, that is alot of value-added for nothing.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Whats he selling the Buck buster 175 for do you know?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Nevermind I found him and his link to website. hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rooster Booster that is an outstanding family photo. Brown Trout It depends which scope you buy it with Brown trout
Here are the prices for the Buckbuster 175
$599.95 Outfitter with 3 Dot (Red/Green) Scope

$599.95 Outfitter with 3X Multi-Reticle Scope

$649.95 Outfitter with Illuminated Multi-Reticle Scope

$799.95 Outfitter with Pin Point Scope

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rooster Booster that is an outstanding family photo.
Thanks it was an outstanding family day!!!

I still owe you a phone call, i did not forget..maybe if Tball practice gets rained out tonight...

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Stan, always good to hear positive reinforcement on a purchase like this. i can't wait for it to get here...lots of boxes being delivered this week because of the tax refund, been fun and we have not even got to the shooting yet

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Awesome to hear that some excitement had been generated. Looking forward to the range report which I am sure will follow.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love getting boxes in the mail...especially one with hunting equipment that I DON'T have to hide from the Mrs

Had T-ball practice last night but hurried home like kids at Christmas to rip into our packages...we got the Enforcer put together last night and mounted the string surpressors on the Tornado , but it got to be too dark to shoot the Enforcer for the first time, so we will get things going tonight I hope, but only in the yard, not at the range so only the 15 yarder will get zeroed and then we will test it out in in a couple weeks at farther distances which I am hoping will be as straight forward as the Tornado was.

Got 18 victory shafts too...WE ARE EXCITED!!! First impression...We made a GREAT choice.

As always thanks Arrowehead for the value-added customer service.

·
Registered
775 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
I love getting boxes in the mail...especially one with hunting equipment that I DON'T have to hide from the Mrs
I know how that feels I also got a package in the mail this week. A new 2010 Tornado with soft touch camo. Two boxes arrived that my wife ended up signing for. She was like I thought you only had one crossbow on the way. lol I replied yes one for me and one for a friend lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess this is a more general question about compound xbows then specifically about enforcers (though it is high on my list at the moment).

As some of you may recall, I am currently looking to enter the crossbow arena this year and I've been weighing which bow I want to get.

I've been leaning more toward recurves mainly because I like the simplicity and general low maintanance. I don't have much money to get a xbow much less upkeep.

That being said, all you compound users out there. I've seen stuff posted about compounds needing to replace cables/wheels every 3 years or so just as general upkeep of the compound xbow, never mind the serving/string. Is this true? I'd be much less shy about considering a compound setup if replacing cables/wheels was only as obviously needed and not bi-yearly or something. How often have you had these items replaced and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had my Tornado for a year, the Enofrcer for a week.

So my answer will be very limited in use...but the only thing we have noticed thus far is the server wear on the Tornado which has had 100+ shots thru it. The cables run thru guides on both so if they are cared for i can't see them wearing out too quickly.

BTW,while down at the parents for trout I took both Parker's and we (me , Dad and son) shot them out to 25 yards. I can visibly see the speed difference in the two and hear the difference when shot...but that said, the Enforcer did great in accuracy and My dad actually said he would rather have it than the Tornado cause it is so light ( a father's day hint if I ever heard one
). We could only shoot to 25 so I will have a full report on both when I get them up to the range...perhaps after I plant my apple trees this weekend.

I am interested to see if the extended range drop (out to 45 yards) is the same rate as the Tornado. I have Hawke Multi-recs on both and hope the 10 yard per crosshair holds true on the Enforcer too, it did for 15 to 25 but that is far as we got.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
With the compounds, they tell you to replace the string and cables every two years. Serving should last for around 600-700 shots.
The wheels don't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My enforcer is going back to Parker, Seems the rail is not flat so it shoots fair but not great. No hassel from Parker, As soon as we get it we will ship a new one to you.

Stant

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the enforcer a couple weeks ago. I can describe it on one word, "awesome."

My 13 year old is dead on at 20 and 30. Very nice an highly recommended. I have nothing else to compare it too, but the boy is in love. I like to shoot it as well.
Good luck Brian!!!!! Sounds just like me and my 13 year old (well 13 on 4/30). See you guys in the success forums this Fall

1 - 20 of 21 Posts