The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Boston Marathon bombings last week, I found myself watching alot of the coverage on tv. How anyone could do something like that is beyond me. I found in watching it, I was just getting angry. Even my wife noticed it. I knew I needed some camp time. I was really looking forward to going. This would also be the first trip since my dad retired that it would just be he and I and of course my dog-Chuck. with my dad retiring, it kinda hit home for me that he may not be around forever. We've always appreciated our time together, but now moreso.
We went up to camp Sunday after I finished work.
The past few years, I've also done alot of trout stocking, mostly for some company since I'd usually be alone. This year I vowed to not fish after we got done stocking. The production line, meat grinder fishing just gets old. I was not worried about numbers, but wanted a quality outdoor experience. Boy did we get it.
We started each day by scouting for turkeys, then fishing. On Monday, the gobbling was a little sparse but we saw 7 flocks of turkeys. On eof them had the biggest gobbler I've ever seen alive and many had mature toms. The big boy was just a large bird and had a VERY thick beard that was probably close to a foot long. He was just majestic. We also saw 8 deer, several grouse, an osprey and a bald eagle perched in a tree eating a fish. When we went fishing, I caught 2 brown trout, 22 rainbows-including a 19 incher and a 20 inch palomino for a total of 25 fish and that is when I quit fishing. Could have caught more, but that was enough for me. We fished two streams and made sure they were ones that had not been stocked since before the opener. There was nobody around. Just total peace and quiet and great fishing.
On Tuesday morning, we scouted turkeys again and heard more gobbling and saw 8 flocks of turkeys. We also saw more grouse, 12 deer and my first bear of the year. Went fishing Tuesday and I caught one brookie, two browns and 19 rainbows. Again nobody around.
What a great time we had. An abundance of wildlife, great fishing, solitude and great time together. Really wish I had some pics to post but I dont.
This was the kind of trip you hope for. Now that the batteries are recharged, I can't wait to go back next week and maybe show you guys a pic of that big gobbler.

·
6,466 Posts
sounds great buddy......last Monday the birds were gobbling everywhere if my son didn't have a ball game Saturday that's exactly where I would be good luck on that big old boy of the ridge top.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
treestand91 said:
sounds great buddy......last Monday the birds were gobbling everywhere if my son didn't have a ball game Saturday that's exactly where I would be good luck on that big old boy of the ridge top.
Are you gonna get out at all on Sat??? If so, good luck...I finished up my final scouting this morning and everything is still on pattern for where we're going. Hopefully we'll have some luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts