The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was out looking for honey mushrooms in one of my usual spots but the ground was way too dry for them. So today I went shooting with a friend and lo and behold there were about 100 honey mushrooms growing on a tree right in the range. I deceided against picking them because they had bullets and ammo casings littered all around them.

So did I miss most of honey mushroom season or has the lack of rain in my area delayed them from coming up? On the flip side it is supposed to rain in my area for atleast three days so that might bring them up...??

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I can't answer your question, but can tell you of my own experience. I found some puffballs a couple weeks ago, and decided to let them grow a little before I got them. I cut them off on Friday evening, but when I cut them open Saturday morning, they were already starting to yellow inside. There I stood with a couple ribeyes cubed up and starting to brown, and my eggs already mixed with Tabasco and cheddar. "Dissappointing" just doesn't seem to descibe the feeling.......

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm...went back out this afternoon...

I found 3 ramshead on a live red oak..
one was 6 inches by a foot (picked that one)
two were 2 inches by 3 inches (left them)

I also found one that was two foot by two foot and ten inches high.....all yellow and buggy.

I also found about two hundred papinkies that were way past prime....i guess that I missed papinkie season after all. That is unless the rain that comes this week brings more out. I guess that I thought that the papinkies wouldn't be out because it hasn't rained in my area. I will have another look on thurday to check on the small grifola and to see if the rain brings out more papinkies.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It appears to be early in NW Pa for honey mushrooms. I have only seen a few small ones so far. We picked a ton of aborted entolomas today. We also found a couple of sheephead that were getting old but were still salvageable. We left a few little ones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
picked about a half bushel yesterday
Most were nice, a few were a day or two over prime
Hope the rain brings some more out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts