The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to tune my recurve by shooting through paper and need advice. The bow that I am shooting is a "Perry", probabaly made in the late 50's or early 60's and it is not a center shot. I know that my arrow will bend back and forth, at what yardage should it straighten out? How far back from the paper should I stand while shooting?
My draw length is 30", so I had some arrows cut at 31". I fletched them with three 5" feathers, helical, I have;
Aluminum 2117, 2216 and 2219
Carbon 5535
My bow measured 47# at 30"
I believe that I need a broadhead weighing at least 150 grains to give 10% F.O.C. Shooting broaheads is not a problem as I have my own backyard target and prefer to shoot them over field tips because I don't hunt with field tips. I really don't care for open on impact heads. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Im not a trad guy, but what is the purpose paper tuning a recurve? There is no rest to move...

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
The purpose is to best match the spine and over all grain weight to your bow. Straight flying arrows hit where you look. A pretty important thing when you shoot instinctive. It also can determine if your brace height is correct. I don't have my Trad archers handbook here at home. Its at camp so I can't help you right off hand, Willie. Its been awhile since I paper tuned my bow and of course, never wrote anything down when I did do it several years ago. I'm betting you can google it and find a pile of info to help you, though. You may want to consider shooting bare shafts of all the arrows you plan on using as well to see which best flies from your bow.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Here is how I tune. I shoot my field arrows a lot. They fly good.

Mount up my b-heads. Shoot them at 15 yards. If the first thought that comes to my mind is..."them flew sweet", then I back out to low to mid 20's. An "awe yeah" fron there, gets them final sharpened and into the quiver.

Been doing this stickbow stuff for the last 27 years. Don't make it into rocket science.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I agree with Bob. The whole reason to shoot trad is to simplify your life. I like making a bunch of arrows and keep broadheads on the ones that fly the best.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Bowmaker.net is Adcock's website.

That's what I use. It can be a little bit of a pain if your arrows aren't close to start but typically broadheads will fly good out to 40+ yards (if I do my part right).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not see a PM from outdoors man, Thanks to all who replied. I glued some grizzley broadheads on (heaviest that I had) and found that all of the arrows I had mentioned b/4 flew pretty good.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I also follow Bob's mentality. Also, the problem with trying to paper tune is that the vast majority of shooters are not shooting using a static and consistent shot form that is required for paper tuning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts