The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build something so that I can paper tune my bow..I don't want something really big..I don't have lot of space....I was wondering if anyone out there has ever built one of there own? It gets hard to get to the shop sometimes to do the papertune. Any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I like the bare shaft over the paper tune set up
simple stip the the vanes and shoot with no vanes or feathers.
I can shoot he same POA up to 20 yards with the bare shaft

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
4 pieces of small diameter PVC pipe, drill holes in the pipe to attach clamps (2 on top, 2 on bottom). Get the paper. Po-man's paper tune target.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How wide and how tall do you make it....and at what distance do you shoot at it?

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Several years ago,I was looking at my daughters easel and thought it would make a good paper tuner and easy to duplicate.For about 6 bucks,I went to Lowes and bought a bunch of 1x1's,some bolts,wing nuts and a wooden dowel.I made a folding easel,minus the chalkboard that holds a roll of freezer paper and clamps down on the paper in two places between two 1x1's.It took less than a half hour to make,folds out of the way and can be adjusted high enough to shoot through comfortably.

You want to paper tune at 6 feet so your fletching doesn't start to correct any inconsistancies.I tune my bow so I'm getting either a bullet hole or in some cases a slight nock-high tear at 6 feet.That's just a starting point though.Bare shaft tuning and walk back tuning are also effective methods.Paper tuning is a quick start and usually gets you pretty close.Once I do that,I step back to 25 yards and shoot a group with field points.I then see where my broadheads impact,in relation to the fieldpoints.If they group to the left,I move my rest very slightly in the direction of the fieldpoints,until they shoot the same.Just repeat if they impact up,down or to the right.Assuming everything else is in order,corect spine,fletch clearance,form etc,I can usually have my BH's hitting perfectly within 20-30 mintutes from start up to finish.It's not always that easy but paper tuning is a good place to start tuning.Do it at 6 feet though,no further.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
For a quickie just cut a square hole out of a cardboard box bottom and tape a piece of paper over the hole. Unless you are tearing a god awful hole plain newspaper will do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha...that was about the simplest idea I have heard yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts