The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setter was just diagnosed with this, it is above her left knee. I thought she had a torn ACL but the knee is tight and the hip and everything else seems good. We have her on Anti-inflamatory's and pain meds. Also have her on Doxycycline just in case it could be Lyme desease, that didnt show up.
Anyone else have a dog go thru this?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Rober,
Sorry this is one I can't help you with, curious about the diagnosis also.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lyco Setter said:
I would be curious to know how it it diagnosed.

My dog was showing lameness in her left rear leg. Yesterday, she looked as if she blew out her ACL as she didnt want to put any weight on her leg. Called the Vet right away and took her out. Basically he checked her for hip,knee and reflex problems and all showed good. Then he started to feel her leg from top to bottom with a pinching grip from his hand. When he got to the area right above the knee she winced in pain, she didnt like it at all. He was only slightly pinching it and it obviously hurt her. If I remember correctly there is a membrane on the leg bone in that area and that is where the inflamation is. It only effects the long bones in dogs, and generaly only in larger dogs. It will show up on x-rays but only when it is at a certain stage, and with her, she is past it.
We have her on Tramodol for pain and Rymadil for inflamation. Also have her on Doxycycline in case of Lyme but it didnt show up on the test, which sometimes it doesnt. If it doesnt clear in 14 days she goes back out for x-rays, but they have to sedate her for that. The only other possibility is a bone tumor, which the Vet says she doesnt show any signs of. Lymph nodes are ok etc. Hopefully it is not that, because by the time you find them it is to late.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ukeyman said:
Suggest you GOOGLE the word...lots of info there. Seems only temporary and can switch from one leg to another ?

I googled it and read about it. We believe she had this problem in 2008 in her other rear leg. One Vet. that I used to go to said she probably had a torn ACL and wanted to do surgery. Paper work comes out and the schedule book comes out, they want to open her up the net day. I told them no-way unless they are 100% sure. We had words, but basically I went and had an MRI done, and it shows the leg is perfectly fine. Went to the Vet. I go to now and treated her with Doxy and the problem went away after about 2 weeks. Doxy is an anti-inflamatory and antibiotic so it took care of it. Hopefully this is the same problem and it will go away. 2 weeks of rest and relaxation and we will see what happens. Seems to show up after we come home from hunting.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Interesting info, although I'm sure that's not your reaction to the matter right now. I hope the current course of SAIDs clears her up. Hate like heck to see one of our field buddies in pain.

BTW, I'm feeding all this info to my daughter, who is currently studying to be a vet. Not just the symptoms and diagnosis, but also the part you mentioned about your prior vet. All good knowledge to have.

We'll be thinking good thoughts for both of you!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hope the puppy is getting lots of rest and doing well.
When are you headed back to camp?
We are going to Potter in the morning on the sleds, Looks like lots of snow.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woodsrat said:
Hope the puppy is getting lots of rest and doing well.
When are you headed back to camp?
We are going to Potter in the morning on the sleds, Looks like lots of snow.
Rat, I am suposed to be there now. But the snow is to deep to hunt and Kacie is layed up for a few weeks. Might try to get up next weekend but I am not sure. Have a safe ride up to camp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts