The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hello
i have used in on all my brittanys over the years and heard about it from a few guys that have beagles and coyote hounds

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son talked with our vet and he suggested it. I plan to go to the local Farm and Feed store today and get a tube. What dosage do you use, ( 1 gram per 10 pd over 3 days) sound close?

·
Registered
25,014 Posts
I use the liquid Safeguard. 10% fENBENDAZOLE. 1 cc/ml per 5 lbs. of body weight per day for three days.
much easier to measure dosage with the liquid in a syringe than a blob of paste.

a 25 lb. beagle would get 5 cc/ml per day for 3 days or a total dosage of 15 cc's

if you use the liquid in a syringe, IT IS GIVEN ORALLY, squirted in the mouth, no needle.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up 2 tubes of Panacur paste $12.70 each, they had safeguard paste also but it was $4.00 cheaper and I always go with the more expensive when I buy, just a mind thing I guess that it will be better. Anyway now to determine the dose for paste. Tube has a dose for a horse. Each tube has 25 grams of 10% fenbendazole. Time to google.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hello
i usually use about half the length of my index finger for my britts They range around the 35 pound mark. They are not going to like in once its in there mouth Once they have it in them I have had dogs vomit one time and their stool get runny for a day but it sure works well I have used it for some 6 years in one for or them other
george

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
timberdoodle said:
I use the liquid Safeguard. 10% fENBENDAZOLE. 1 cc/ml per 5 lbs. of body weight per day for three days.
much easier to measure dosage with the liquid in a syringe than a blob of paste.

a 25 lb. beagle would get 5 cc/ml per day for 3 days or a total dosage of 15 cc's

if you use the liquid in a syringe, IT IS GIVEN ORALLY, squirted in the mouth, no needle.
What size bottle do you find? I like using this product but I get stuck with the Goat safeguard and usually need to buy a few different bottles, does anyone sell bigger bottles?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
All I use is safeguard paste for my beagles. Always seems to work for me, but there is one kind of tape that it will not kill. If it doesn't work you may have to find some droncit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's been a while but i've used the Safeguard horse wormer on my coonhounds. Pancur and Safeguard have the same active ingredient (Fendbendazole). I looked at the Safeguard DOG wormering tablets (EXPENSIVE) and the Fendbendazole concentration was around 22% while the Horse worming paste is only 10% concentration. I forget what the math breakdown was but as I recallyou need to use alot of the horse wormer paste to do one full size coonhound (75lbs).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts