The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
So everyone that has a government job is a “leech”?
In my opinion, outside of the military and very, very few agencies necessary for the common defense, yes.
Government agencies are the definition of inefficiency, and are largely unnecessary, providing no added value to the lives of our citizens. Said agencies exist only for self-perpetuation at the expense of the taxpayer. Especially in this day and age.
EDIT: Vampire may be more accurate a term than leech. Sorry.

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
wasnt the department of energy created to lessen our dependence on foreign oil and other sources of energy ? didnt they fail, but continue to be an active agency ?

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
In my opinion, outside of the military and very, very few agencies necessary for the common defense, yes.
Government agencies are the definition of inefficiency, and are largely unnecessary, providing no added value to the lives of our citizens. Said agencies exist only for self-perpetuation at the expense of the taxpayer. Especially in this day and age.
EDIT: Vampire may be more accurate a term than leech. Sorry.
Its good to know that I was a "leech/vampire" for the County for 5 years and I'll let my daughter know that as a Federal employee that she is. I am sure she will be as impressed as I am ;)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Its good to know that I was a "leech/vampire" for the County for 5 years and I'll let my daughter know that is Federal employee that she is. I am sure she will be as impressed as I am ;)
Just calling it like I see it. Government at all levels is bloated beyond comprehension these days, and has gone so far beyond its original mandate of providing for the common good and into providing for its own good for me to care if the few good apples among them get lumped in with the rot. I have a few vampires in the family as well. Most of them accept the label.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Just calling it like I see it. Government at all levels is bloated beyond comprehension these days, and has gone so far beyond its original mandate of providing for the common good and into providing for its own good for me to care if the few good apples among them get lumped in with the rot. I have a few vampires in the family as well. Most of them accept the label.
Some/most bad so all bad, again, very impressive thinking.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Some/most bad so all bad, again, very impressive thinking.
So close to all, with the noted above exceptions, that for all practical purposes, all works.
There are entire agencies that could be disbanded tomorrow (probably putting 10's of thousands out of work) and we'd be so much better off for it.
There are county governments so over-staffed and full of fluff/nepotism "jobs" that 90% of the employees could be dismissed tomorrow and things would function just fine.
Current government mindset is "If one person can accomplish the job, we'll throw 10 at it.."

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
So close to all, with the noted above exceptions, that for all practical purposes, all works.
There are entire agencies that could be disbanded tomorrow (probably putting 10's of thousands out of work) and we'd be so much better off for it.
There are county governments so over-staffed and full of fluff/nepotism "jobs" that 90% of the employees could be dismissed tomorrow and things would function just fine.
Current government mindset is "If one person can accomplish the job, we'll throw 10 at it.."
So, "close to all" is getting a little bit better and "all" does not work, sorry a I can't come down to that level.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I understand. I’m sure it’s hard being the honest mechanic working at a shop known for ripping off customers.
You get ripped off everyday! I see the waste everyday in the manufacturing sector and it cost you , me and everybody money, lots of money. But there are good honest people doing their job day in and day out along side of the "leeches". No doubt things could be cleaned up every where, but again not everyone is bad.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
You get ripped off everyday! I see the waste everyday in the manufacturing sector and it cost you , me and everybody money, lots of money. But there are good honest people doing their job day in and day out along side of the "leeches". No doubt things could be cleaned up every where, but again not everyone is bad.
I agree, and still stand by the comment that the overwhelming majority of government is a leech on our citizenry. Good or decent doesn’t matter if the function being performed is out of the scope of the original intent of government. If Mother Theresa worked in the EPA or BATFE I wouldn’t recant.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I agree, and still stand by the comment that the overwhelming majority of government is a leech on our citizenry. Good or decent doesn’t matter if the function being performed is out of the scope of the original intent of government. If Mother Theresa worked in the EPA or BATFE I wouldn’t recant.
So, I would guess that since I held not one but two Government jobs some 30 years ago, you would place me in the "overwhelming majority" without even knowing me or how I worked, only that I worked for the Government and if I was "good or decent" it wouldn't matter. Awesome! Feel free to add me to your "ignore" list and you surely will be a happy man ;)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
So, I would guess that since I held not one but two Government jobs some 30 years ago, you would place me in the "overwhelming majority" without even knowing me or how I worked, only that I worked for the Government and if I was "good or decent" it wouldn't matter. Awesome! Feel free to add me to your "ignore" list and you surely will be a happy man ;)
I know nothing of the specifics of your situation, nor does that matter, I’m not judging you personally. I’m stating a deeply held belief that the overwhelming majority of government functionaries are in positions that do not contribute to the common good or defense and are therefore a burden placed upon the citizens. I’m sure you’re a heck of a guy. That doesn’t exclude the possibility of having performed a function that was ultimately unnecessary and at taxpayer expense.

As for ignoring you, why would I do that? I capable of disagreeing with people on distinct issues and still valuing their input on an array of others.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I know nothing of the specifics of your situation, nor does that matter, I’m not judging you personally. I’m stating a deeply held belief that the overwhelming majority of government functionaries are in positions that do not contribute to the common good or defense and are therefore a burden placed upon the citizens. I’m sure you’re a heck of a guy. That doesn’t exclude the possibility of having performed a function that was ultimately unnecessary and at taxpayer expense.

As for ignoring you, why would I do that? I capable of disagreeing with people on distinct issues and still valuing their input on an array of others.
Without knowing the "function I performed" it was "ultimately unnecessary", yet I am/was part of the problem, again impressive. Carry on and don't forget that "ignore button" ;)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Without knowing the "function I performed" it was "ultimately unnecessary", yet I am/was part of the problem, again impressive.
I said it’s not impossible, more likely probable, that it was ultimately unnecessary. But I can see I struck a nerve and now you’re going to read absolutes where there are none

Carry on and don't forget that "ignore button" ;)
Nah, you don’t belong in the company of those on that list.

261 - 280 of 295 Posts