The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
i think they should just "chip" all the deer. then when we kill it, scan it with our smart phone. then the PGC will know exactly when that deer was killed, if it was a buck or doe and all the info off the phone of the hunter who killed it. when getting your license, you give up your cell phone number....tracks every kill thru smart phone technology.
this could work with pheasants and bear too.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't care one way or the other about this issue, but I'll say this:

There is large and ever growing segment of our society that conduct all business electronically. They don't get a paycheck, they use auto-deposit, and even in the case where they do need to deposit a check, they photograph it with their phone and "deposit" it online. They don't pay bills by mail, they pay them online. They do a large portion of their purchase of goods on-line, and where they must use brick and mortar vendors they don't write checks or use cash, they use their debit or credit cards. The younger generation depend on their devices for conducting all transactions.
It isn't just the younger generation. Many large employers, including state agencies, REQUIRE direct deposit for employee paychecks. Almost 20 years ago when I first started at my employer it was an option and I signed up for it- at my technology fumbling old man's encouragement (he already had it.) Then they began to strongly encourage it and incentivize it (pay was direct deposited by end of day Thursday, checks were given out Friday.) Now they require it.

I not only pay almost all of my bills online, I have some setup automatically. Heck, I automatically my mortgage bi-weekly (timed with my pay) and by doing it that way I make an extra monthly payment every year entirely towards my principal. When I pay a bill thru automatic withdrawal I get a notice either by email or text that it was paid.

Sorry if I have a hard time believing the folks trying to convince me that this is going to be a disaster or that the PGC really doesn't support it, they're just pretending to (that one is my favorite.)

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
Penna just overhauled the unemployment comp computer system, they claimed it would be more intuitive for the users and cut down on the need to call in and ask question. the new system messed up so bad it crashed and the phone system went down too. now they are going to hire 200 more people to answer phones and answer questions....LOL

and you fellas want them to overhaul the doe tag system

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Penna just overhauled the unemployment comp computer system, they claimed it would be more intuitive for the users and cut down on the need to call in and ask question. the new system messed up so bad it crashed and the phone system went down too. now they are going to hire 200 more people to answer phones and answer questions....LOL

and you fellas want them to overhaul the doe tag system

View attachment 170417
Apples and oranges.

And they've already said the new system that is "HuntFishPA" is out of the box capable of handling the doe app process, so it's already "overhauled"...

I understand the skepticism, but at least try to give a fair shot/comparison...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I know you admittedly get confused Bohunr but 62,000 people successfully used the new Unemployment system on the first day. Yes, it definitely had a numerous glitches and problems to be sorted out and corrected but the old system seems to have actually been worse. Over 300,000 people were already backlogged in the old system. I would not be surprised that contributed to the problems the new system experienced but will have to correct. BTW, apparently the phone line crash was unrelated and affected a number of agencies.

·
Super Moderator
14,388 Posts
Apples and oranges.

And they've already said the new system that is "HuntFishPA" is out of the box capable of handling the doe app process, so it's already "overhauled"...

I understand the skepticism, but at least try to give a fair shot/comparison...
Not according to the issuing agents I have talked with, who worked with both the old and new licensing vendor.

The agents I talked to have experienced more and harder to correct problems for both them and the customer, with this new vendor than then did with the old one.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Not according to the issuing agents I have talked with, who worked with both the old and new licensing vendor.

The agents I talked to have experienced more and harder to correct problems for both them and the customer, with this new vendor than then did with the old one.

Dick Bodenhorn
Examples?
I’ve spoken with upwards of 40 guys at my rod and gun club and none have had any issues getting fishing licenses, and the few that did have a gripe it was all about having to click purchase history to find their turkey report button, but it still worked (I think they explained the issue was related to how they migrated the data from the old system into the new, and that it would only impact the tail of the 20/21 season)
Again, we can swap undocumented anecdotes and hearsay all day. Proves zilch.

·
Super Moderator
14,388 Posts
Examples?
I’ve spoken with upwards of 40 guys at my rod and gun club and none have had any issues getting fishing licenses, and the few that did have a gripe it was all about having to click purchase history to find their turkey report button, but it still worked (I think they explained the issue was related to how they migrated the data from the old system into the new, and that it would only impact the tail of the 20/21 season)
Again, we can swap undocumented anecdotes and hearsay all day. Proves zilch.
About 40 people is not even a drop in the bucket when it comes to the number of people buying licenses from most issuing agents.

The biggest complaints were about people getting awarded a trout/salmon permit on their license when they hadn't purchased one and licenses that refused to print for the agent and ended printing on some other agents printer half way across the state. Some have also had licenses print on their printer, just out of the blue, that they hadn't sold only to find out it was for someone in far off location.

Sounds to me like there are some pretty serious issues with the new system.

Lets see what the hunters have to say when they start using the system next week.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know of 3 people getting a fishing license and all 3 had different issues.
I went to PAFBC and it took 45 minutes to get it to print. Not printer related,she said the system kept locking their printer out.
My brother spent well over an hour with support trying to get his account setup again. The support person was just going to give him a new CID, but he wouldn’t let him due to still having hunting license that would have been screwed up.
A guy I work projects with made 5 phone calls and 3 trips to get his account straightened out at PAFBC.
All 3 of us were getting our licenses earlier in the year so maybe the bugs were worked out by now.

Not sure if anyone on this thread looked at the link RSB put on 2 threads earlier today regarding the Hunter Surveys. Interesting that online response was between 30 and 40 something %, while mail in response was between 50 and 60 something %. So predominantly manual responding unlike what some of us might think.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I purchased a pa fishing license with no problems.....I purchased a Ny license with no problems..... I purchased an Ohio fishing license with no problems.....I purchased an Ohio lake Erie permit with no problems.....For the past 12 years I purchased a Ny hunting license WITH A DOE TAG. No problems. Now we are going to have problems in PA? OK.....Maybe the PAGC doesn't know how to manage the contractors.

I realize that RSB and Hammer could never say anything bad about the PGC, but holy crow. I spend thousands of dollars a year on the web and I've never had problems. EVER.

Ebay, Amazon, private internet companies, publicly traded internet companies. NEVER have I had a problem....

My wife did have a problem once when the county treasurer printed her doe tag, but didn't send it. Took a bunch of calls to the PAGC to sort it out.

What I don't get, is you dinosaurs want to send your envelope to the treasurer so they can enter it in to the internet. Then after they enter it, they send it back snail mail.....How in the heck does that make sense? I just want to enter it in and move on.

I think we should be able to order it on the web and those that want to send by mail should pay an extra $10 handling fee to make it worthwhile for the treasurer.

Most of those dinosaurs are probably burning their tags to save a doe anyway.

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
i dont think they'll have problems when folks buy licenses in small numbers, but if the selling of doe tags goes to an online process and tens of thousands try to buy all at once...CRASH !!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
i dont think they'll have problems when folks buy licenses in small numbers, but if the selling of doe tags goes to an online process and tens of thousands try to buy all at once...CRASH !!
That largely will depend on whether the new system is run on owned metal or if it's running on a cloud service.
Metal? (local physical server) There could be capacity issues if they didn't build big enough and pay for adequate bandwidth.
Cloud-service? (AWS) Nah, it'll run just fine whether it's 2 users at a time or 2,000,000+.

We'll get a low-grade stress test in a few days when the DMAP tags and general licenses go on sale.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Found the answer...
ran a ping and traceroute on HuntFish.PA.Gov, it resolved to a cloudfront.net domain.
Did an ICANN lookup on Cloudfront.net, it's an Amazon cloud hosting service....
So high volume traffic won't be an issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think most of us know that, but we don’t have to like that fact. We’re doing the same where I work.
My trust in cyber security is more a lack of trust. That on top of I would rather keep jobs in PA is why I’m not for a change.
As well, how many improvements, patches or upgrades were made to the old system, not many that I could tell. I’m sure this outfit will run the same as most IT in 2021, if it’s not a show stopper push it in and fix it later. Then 5-10 years go by, later never came and the excuse is that no one would pay to fix the defects. My experience and see it all the time.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts