Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted

:​
December 1, 2020 10:26 AM
Senator Daniel Laughlin
To:​
All Senate members
Subject:​
Authorizing the Sale of Antlerless Deer Licenses Through the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System

In the near future, I plan to re-introduce Senate Bill 485 of last session. This legislation would allow for the sale of antlerless deer hunting licenses through the Pennsylvania Game Commission's (PGC) Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System.

Currently, hunters apply for antlerless deer licenses by sending an application to a county treasurer or similar applications in a timely manner.

Because of the PGC's recent updates to the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System, hunters now have a more convenient and efficient way of applying for and receiving hunting licenses. Therefore, this legislation would transfer the antlerless deer license application process from counties to the PGC through the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System.

Please join me in supporting this legislation.

in committee for consideration, May 24th.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until they explain all details about how the process will work. It could be great and then it could be not so great.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
That would crash the site. They struggle with trout stamps in the store and now doe tags? Huh?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
If it works and as fair as the system is now, good. But I don’t expect it to be either when all is said and done. Anytime you have smart people with computers, it will get messed up!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
USPS will have to raise the price of stamps due to the loss of 1 stamp stamp per pinky....

·
Registered
25,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only ever had a "problem" w/treasurers once, in all the years I've been getting a doe tag. Under the old county system, we always sent our doe apps to Tioga Co. Stayed with that when it went to WMUs.

First year you could send to any county treasurer, drove down to Carlisle on Sunday and put the app in the box outside the PO. Big mistake. Our Cumberland Co. treasurer never processed it for over two weeks. Actually was awarded my second round tag by the Potter treasurer, the day before my treasurer got around to the first app.

Guess where I've been sending mine since? (y)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
so who will pay for all the cell phones that the hunters will have to use ?
you think they’ll eliminate the paper process overnight? (If at all?)
I’m sure choice will be maintained for quite some time, at least until the paper tag use falls below diminishing returns for maintaining the process.
Besides, doesn’t look like the Obamaphone program is going away, maybe they’ll expand the program to include impoverished hunters? 🤣

·
Registered
25,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The impoverished hunter with the $50K truck, $10K ATV, $1K rifle, $500 boots and a coupla thousand bucks worth of high tech, waterproof and scent free duds? I can see that happening some day.

:)

I usually still do the mail in report cards. Went to camp and forget 'em one year, so tried the phone reporting system while at camp, because I'd killed a buck on opening day. Man, what an exercise in frustration that turned into. Was told that had been improved, don't care.

Last year used the online reporting system when I got home two days after killing a doe.

Timed it, from turning on the 'puter, to finishing the report. Still took a bit longer than filling out the report card and walking it out to the mailbox along the road. Last I'd heard, the reporting rate is below 30%? Given the problems with the online PALs license buying we've seen reported here, thinking the old idea of in person buying is my first choice.

Some wanted the treasurers out, see how that work if it ever happens.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
That would crash the site. They struggle with trout stamps in the store and now doe tags? Huh?
And yet I've never had a problem buying a trout stamp. 🙄

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The impoverished hunter with the $50K truck, $10K ATV, $1K rifle, $500 boots and a coupla thousand bucks worth of high tech, waterproof and scent free duds? I can see that happening some day.

:)

I usually still do the mail in report cards. Went to camp and forget 'em one year, so tried the phone reporting system while at camp, because I'd killed a buck on opening day. Man, what an exercise in frustration that turned into. Was told that had been improved, don't care.

Last year used the online reporting system when I got home two days after killing a doe.

Timed it, from turning on the 'puter, to finishing the report. Still took a bit longer than filling out the report card and walking it out to the mailbox along the road. Last I'd heard, the reporting rate is below 30%? Given the problems with the online PALs license buying we've seen reported here, thinking the old idea of in person buying is my first choice.

Some wanted the treasurers out, see how that work if it ever happens.
FWIW, it’s a new and greatly improved online portal this year, and a new fulfillment vendor. We’ll see how it shakes out next month. Oh, the new system is also capable of supporting several “new” features, like electronic licenses and tagging, doe tag sales, etc.
“New” because it would be new to PA, but has been around in other states for a while.
All that is needed to enable the features is the green light from the legislature.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts