The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread got me thinking, and I didn't want to hijack it.

Who and how does it get determine how many goldens get stocked in certain streams? I know one little stream that can almost get jumped over, but still receives 10-12 nice goldens in its 2 mile length. A couple miles away, there is a much larger stream that gets alot of fish, but I've only ever seen one pali stocked, and it was about 12". Just curious how that works........

·
Registered
754 Posts
I always assumed it was based on how many children were expected to fish each stream?

Never understood the allure of catching them like others though.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
been wondering that as well for years quackmaster. that and the breeder fish, how are they determined? Same situation, been to large streams to stock and we have 12-15 broodstock then go to a little piddly stream and have had 40-50. I don't understand it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't know how they decide. I know we stocked way fewer 5 years ago than we do now. i assume it prolly has more to do with how many they have at the hatchery vs. actual fishing pressure. The last 3 years we have been getting around 5-10 per stop it just depends on if they get netted out of the tank at that stop. On a side note since we started getting more pali's we get way fewer big fish (over 18").

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I help stock for a local sportsmans club by my cabin and we determine that at least 1 big breeder gets let go in every stream, and depending on how many goldens we have they get divided up as well

·
Registered
743 Posts
i don't see why paliminos should be stocked in the first place. all they do is get fish killed, whether it be from a heron or a fisherman who would have passed a hole but saw a big one in there. They are the only trout i keep just to get them out of the water.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
One stream that I stock on a pretty regular basis gets around 1 out of 100.

The ratio for the "trophy" sized fish seems to be about the same or a bit higher.

Some things you might not take into consideration that "paliminos" are golden rainbows, and wont be stocked into streams without rainbow trout.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Some things you might not take into consideration that "paliminos" are golden rainbows, and wont be stocked into streams without rainbow trout.
That is correct, at least when it comes to PFBC. Can't say about local co-ops. I really don't know for sure how the decisions are made. But there are streams that I stock that get no goldens and two in particular that get a ton, as well as trophy sized fish. A stream we did this spring got goldens probably at a ratio of 1:50 and had quite a few 2 and 3 year olds as well. That is where I'll be on the opener. I kinda like catching the goldens myself.

·
20,126 Posts
It has a LOT to do with angler usage of a stream. Places like Jordan Creek out east get a super high number while smaller lesser knowns get zero in a lot of cases (goldens). They're a glamour fish so they aren't just tossin them anywhere. Pretty much all stockings get at least one 'big' trout though. I can't recall the last time I was at a stocking that didn't at least get one 17-18" trout or larger. Again though, the more popular places get way more.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Goldens are the only trout that I will keep on a consistent basis. I feel they do nothing but attract attention.

Some people wont be able to see regular trout laying in a seam, or under the bank, but throw one of those yellow fish in there, and everyone can see them.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Goldens are the only trout that I will keep on a consistent basis. I feel they do nothing but attract attention.

Some people wont be able to see regular trout laying in a seam, or under the bank, but throw one of those yellow fish in there, and everyone can see them.
I am the same as you especially when they are in a stream that has a good wild trout population. I sometimes feel weird about it because I always help do the stocking but I can't control what fish we get from the state.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Find the stream that you expect a ton of pressure and see lots of litter and corn dunkers and you are bound to find the palominos. Usually they're not the nicest streams to fish. My favorite streams get very few palominos that's for sure. But find a bridge with a decent hole, there will be tons of fish and likely some nice goldens. Just be ready to tangle lines.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Trout is right..I've been involved in the whole hatchery thing for a long while..streams that have high fishing appeal and great access get more pali's..they are a attention getter.. this is the first year some true trophy trout have been put in a few streams around the state..I'm sure we'll see a pic or two of beautiful "albino rainbows"...IMO I wish they would start raising and releasing more tiger trout as our trophy fish.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
So as I suspected, though we all pay the same for our license, we are not all treated equally. Those of us who don't enjoy shoulder to shoulder fishing are slighted when it comes to trophy fish. PA at its best, as always.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
It does seem like the Lehigh valley gets a good share of large fish, as well as the Philadelphia area. I think it bothers me more that those folks, who are the majority of camp owners in my area, get a first crack at fish in their area, and this has caused an increase of fishing pressure in my area.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
So as I suspected, though we all pay the same for our license, we are not all treated equally. Those of us who don't enjoy shoulder to shoulder fishing are slighted when it comes to trophy fish. PA at its best, as always.
Agreed. I don't like shoulder to shoulder fishing, but I do it for the first morning. I move to a stream I wouldn't normally like to fish. They are throwing most of the trophies where the most pressure is. They don't want that shoulder to shoulder crowd to be upset and pushed away from fishing due to no trophies. That's where so much of their trout stamp money comes from, so they will put the fish where the money is in general.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I don't feel slighted about anything. If you want hatcheries to remain open you have to make money which means appeal to the masses. They're already keeping two hatcheries open without a plan to fund them as of yet.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I was never a popular fella in my younger days when I was heavy into volunteer stocking. we built our own floats and all. We NEVER put the big fish or the goldens anywhere easy. I've always been a believer in working to get a trophy, not pulling up to a bridge and fishing within 30 seconds of leaving the vehicle

·
Registered
509 Posts
I never understood what the big deal was about golden rainbows. They are just stocked fish like the rest of them. There may be less of them, but they are pretty easy to spot. I've never killed any of the ones I caught. Most of the ones I see just get snagged anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts