The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys. I've got a 70lb minnkota 24 volt troller. I was thinking about trading the batteries in this year for two new ones. I bought a new deep cycle battery for the camper last summer and ended up selling the camper without the battery. It's the same battery that I use in the boat but it's almost a year old. Do you think I could get away with pairing a new battery up with the slightly used one I have for a 24 volt system or should I just get two new batteries. The one from the camper was only used twice but I've kept it charged up over the winter.

·
Super Moderator
4,551 Posts
I would put 2 brand new batteries on the troller to be safe! The problem with using an old battery and a new battery is that the pair will be done when the weaker battery is done, meaning you may not get a full day out of them, the weaker battery will fail first.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Ill second what Real said, if you pair up batteries you do it from the get go, buy 2 new batteries, discharge them as a pair and charge them as a pair.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
sorry to differ, but I'm an electronic field engineer, and as long as the first battery is as new and lightly used as he says it is, there will be no problems using the original battery and one new one. Just do a periodic load test on both of them and if possible, keep a shoreline plugged in with a battery minder like a Battery Tender Jr. You should get lots of usage without a problem.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the battery was very gently used. I bought it in May of last year. I charged it up and used it twice in the camper for an over night stay only. Never discharging the battery completely. I've kept it charged up over the winter in my basement. I'd hate to get two new batteries if I don't have to. I'd have no use for this one if I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts