The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Would it be wise to spray or dip paint canine traps?

I have some new traps and looking to degrease and possibly paint them.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
My daughter has a bright pink one. It was her first trap and she wanted it painted pink. We have caught coyote, bobcat, Fox and coon in it. What's funny is no possum.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Some will argue the smell...

But dye and even wax have smells.....

I'd agree that the chemical smells of paint will likely be worse than a natural logwood dye etc..

Some guys were powder coating and happy with the results...

Why not do some and see how it works for YOU? I think many trappers are set in their ways...

And...you gotta think about the critter...critters are critters...some are smarter and more cautious than others...some can probably be caught by a un-set trap lol...

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
One guy up this way that showed me a lot about trapping, paints all of his traps with flat black rustoleum and catches piles of k9's every year. He is the one that told me it would be fine to use a painted trap. He was correct. It has never been dug up. We have used it for 2yrs. Had to repaint twice because of coon.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Years ago I knew muskrat trappers who painted their traps in sort of a color code pattern to deter thefts. Fifty, sixty years ago there were a lot of trap thefts going on.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Was a big post on trapper man, rustolem primer n flat black, thinned with acetone then dipped the traps, many claim it was great.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
OldMink said:
Years ago I knew muskrat trappers who painted their traps in sort of a color code pattern to deter thefts. Fifty, sixty years ago there were a lot of trap thefts going on.
When I was 15-20 I trapped rats like mad. I had multiple years that thieves would get an entire run of my rat traps. I even made sure stakes didn't stick above the water. I think they just walked the entire run inside the run or something. Wish we had gamecams then like now. Now it's mainly my k9 sets that get robbed. Usually because they are full.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
When I started trapping in the 60's all you heard was wear a bio suit because if the animal smells you you'll never catch anything. Now we paint CR and traps, make sets with out gloves or rubber boots, sift our own dirt and probably catch more now than then. I was a rat a holic also. I'd file a couple notches on the bottom of my traps for ID. Had a lot stolen over the years also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I wax the traps after painting or just let them hang outside till its time to put them in the ground?

·
Super Moderator
6,156 Posts
I've used Speed Black for coon, muskrat, mink and beaver traps. For canine trapping, I'd personally stay away from the stuff. For the #2 Bridgers, it's boil to clean, pressure wash, then dry. Next day, boil again in red logwood, then dry. And lastly, a dip in paraffin wax, then into the plastic tubs until season starts. I'm not saying ya can't catch critter using Speed Black or paint, just wary of the smell of petroleum products. I know folks who don't dye or paint their traps. They get a very light rust coat on them, then dip them in wax. You're not dyeing or painting traps to camouflage them from canines (they're gonna be bedded anyway). You dye or paint to inhibit rust. Wax will do the same, in addition to speeding up their firing speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts