The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this isn't quite a taxidermy question but it relates. I'm looking to paint up some worn out decoys and would like to use my airbrush to give it a more realistic look. My question is I was thinking of using the lacquer based opaque paint to redo these decoys. I have found this paint not to be glossy and hold up well but would there be any reason why I shouldn't use this paint on decoys?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I would think laquer base would not be durable given the abuse decoys get. I know when I had a 68 Camaro That was repainted with laquer base paint I had to garage it to keep it looking good. I would think there are better more durable choices .Cut and pasted below description

Lacquer based paint was a popular type of paint from the mid 1920s to 1960s. It was typically used to cover hard wearing surfaces like auto bodies and furniture. Lacquer paint is difficult to work with and requires sanding between coats and about four to six coats on autos. This is still found and commonly used by many. These paints are soft and do not have many chemicals. Thus, they are not durable and long-lived. This is why an antique car with an original paint job will appear dull rather than glossy. This paint is available in aerosol spray containers as well as spray guns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Buzz. Try RONAN oil paint. Wears well. Don't know if it can be thinned enough to air-brush. I just dry brush the transition areas [black to white on a bluebill] www.jaymescompany.com is where I buy it. Works great on E.allens,cork,wood. Probably all plastic although never tried it on GHG type birds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts