The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the laws on paddle boats? I was thinking about buying one if your aloud to fish out of them. Do I have to license them? I'm new to boating. The only place I want to use it is George B. Stevenson Dam. Can any of you WCO's tell me if their legal to use there. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you want to use an unpowered boat in any Pa waterway that is in a state park or has a Fish Commission launch, you need a launch permit which can be purchased for a single day at a state park office or buy a two year permit for $18 via the Fish Commission website.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
when did they start with a lanch fee, i have never had to pay to lanch at lackawanna state park...........bob

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Bob if your boat is registered with pfbc you do not need the launch permit.
Bt you will also need to have life jackets and all the other safety stuff all boats need. I got a warning for not having a life jacket while in a float tube.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Gary is correct - if your boat is powered by either gas or electric motor then you must register it.

The launch permit applies to unpowered boats.

PFD is essential. I always have mine on.

Also, if you plan on fishing at night, you must have a single white light that is visible from all directions.

Some guys think that a headlamp will suffice, but that is not the case, especially if they don't have it on all the time.

On my one man pontoon boat, I use a solar landscape light on a plastic stem from my yard that I stick into one of my gear bags and it works like a charm. It does not cast light into the water, can be seen from a good distance, and it requires no batteries.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/operation5.htm

Ben - if you are on a manually powered boat (oars), you do not need a red/green nag lights. Please refer to the link I provided.

I've been checked by the Fish Cops at night and they had no problem with my setup - they actually got a kick out of my solar light setup.

I also wear a headlamp, but usually only have it on when rigging a line or unhooking a fish.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for info.guys You have to be out of George B, Stevenson at sundown, so I won't have to worry about lights.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
A little clarification,
You can purchase a un-powered permit from the fish & boat commission OR a launch permit from the DCNR.
They are both acceptable anywhere in the state and are both the same price. $10 for one year or $18 for two years. The DCNR launch permit can be bought "over the counter" at many state park offices and many other places (if you call them they can tell who sells them near you) , the other you must send in for or buy at the Harrisburg office.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts