The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you backpackers, what is your pack weight for a summer overnight trip without your food or water?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
If the weather is good, the only thing I would need is my hammock, a sheet, and bug net, and maybe a change of socks and drawers. I could probably get down to a fanny pack without vittles.

If you figure a 2 man backpack tent is 5 lb, a fleece sleeping bag at 2 lb, what else do you really need? Even if you throw in a flashlight, socks, a little first aid kit, and a cheap sleeping pad, and weight of the pack, you should be under 15 easy.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. I have some work to do then to cut down on weight. I downsized my pack size this year and that saved me about 2 pounds alone. I'm hoping it will also force me to leave unnecessary items at home due to smaller pack size. I'm trying to get my base weight in the sub 20 pound realm. Last year it was around 30 pounds. Still racking my brain trying to figure out how to leave 8 more pounds behind.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thats where I am for 2 nights with food and water, about 35. What can you possibly be carrying to get 30lb for 1 night w/o food?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just got done with a 2 night, 3 day AT hike from Rt 72 and the AT to the river at 322 bridge between Christmas and New Years. 35 lbs at the start. That includes food and water. Ended up with only a small zip lock bag of peanuts left so I guessed right on food. But it depends on temperature. I took extra clothing for around the camp site and shelter and for sleeping. Night temp was about 15 degrees and wind of about 10 - 15 mph. Summer time eliminate about 3 - 4 lbs for clothing and 1.5 for lighter sleeping bag.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5# pack, 5.5# tent, handgun with extra mag, and my water filter is 15# right there. I may be remembering incorrectly and including food and water in that 30 pounds. Never-the-less, my goal this year is to get my pack weight as light as possibly without sacrificing comfort. Thought about getting a lighter tent but I like mine too much to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I like the sawyer mini for a water filter.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Jaron said:
5# pack, 5.5# tent, handgun with extra mag, and my water filter is 15# right there. I may be remembering incorrectly and including food and water in that 30 pounds. Never-the-less, my goal this year is to get my pack weight as light as possibly without sacrificing comfort. Thought about getting a lighter tent but I like mine too much to replace it.
Handgun with extra mag...one mag is enough and a light weight handgun for me. Northface Tadpole tent #5, and Osprey Ather 70 backback- #5.4. I use chemiclas to treat my water. Have a UV light but heavy and need to recharge light.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marmot Twilight 2p tent. Osprey Aether 60 was my pack last year. Got an Osprey Strattos 36 to help lighten things up. Katedyn Hiker Pro filter connects right to my Camelback for easy filling. Gonna swap handguns with one of my smaller ones.

Any other suggestions please feel free. I'll take all the ideas and info you can give. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
With food, 30 is good.

Eureka forte @ 5#
High Sierra App 74 @6.5 dry bag for liner
1 AA cell LED light, 1 head light
Small first aid kit
Possibly a PF9
Katydin Hiker pro, only carry enough water to get to location.
40' 550 cord
cheap foam sleeping pad
Bug spray
Sleeping bag depends on temp. 1# (50deg) - 7# (0deg)
Fire kit, lighter, striker and 5 cotton balls in vaseline 1#?
TP
Raingear
Pocket rocket and Optumus HE weekender cookset
1 drawers, 1 socks, and 1 t shirt in a gal freezer bag. (emergancy drys they live in the bag)

Thats pretty much what is in there tonight, add food to bring it to 35#. I have weighed it per trip and 35 is where it is for a 2 night. A 5 night trip goes to 50+ in a hurry.
Dehydrated food and as few cans as you can get will keep the weight down. If you get those dry bags (3 pack) from wally world, the big one will hold all of the clothes you need.
If it isnt calling for blowing rain, the tent comes out and the hammock and a tarp go in, probably cuts lodging weight by half.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twelve pounds before food and water. Switched to ultra light pack, quilt, and lighter tent.

Philmont 2012 weighed in at thirty two pounds including three days of food and more "required" gear than you can shake a stick at. Some of the scouts were near forty.

One of the other leaders was at fifty two pounds. Multiple cameras, iPad, Iphone, you name it. Everything ran out of juice by day three.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts