The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, the scenario is our great Pa Wilds. If you had to pick one wheel gun to take with you while hunting, camping, hiking, etc what would it be? Remember, this pertains to our great state, not Alaska. What size barrel would you carry?

Feel free to explain why - and if you have a specific brand go ahead and mention that as well.

ps - If you select other let us know what caliber your carrying.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
14 votes, come on guys use the keyboard too! The why will make this much more interesting!

·
Registered
25,492 Posts
Picked a 4" 357 'cause I have a M686 S&W and it's a heckuva lot less aggravation to tote, than my 6" M629 is.

Plus, there ain't nothing much in these parts that walks, crawls, swims or flys, that the 357 won't take the fight out of.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Picked the 44 6" cause I use one now thats 7 1/2 and for hunting I dont want to short of a barrel.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I picked the 357 6" that will be my next handgun purchase a Taurus Model 66 7 shot revolver. I own a Ruger Redhawk 41mag. & a S&W model 48-4 22mag both guns no longer made.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I carried a S&W 686 on duty with the 4" brl and accuracy was great... atleast for me... and as stated above there is nothing here in Pa that the 357 wont put down.... I sold it when we upgraded gun and wish I had it back... !!!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I like the Smith and Wesson Titanium .44 magnum that they have, I believe that it is the 329 PD if I remember correctly. They are super light weight and great shooters. The recoil is a little rough but that can dealt with.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
.44 Mag 6"+ A good classic deer revolver either open sights or with a scope. I have had a few, but my current is a Dan Wesson .44 Mag with a 10" barrel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
After many years of testing, five years ago I finally settled on my perfect packing pistol. I built a custom Ruger Bisley Vaquero w/ 4 5/8" barrel, fixed sights set to my one load. The load is Federal case, 21.0 gr. H-110 or WW296, CCI large pistol magnum primers and a 325 gr. cast LBT WFNGC or a cast LBT 335 gr. LFNGC bullet both bullets hit same point of impact out to well past 100 yds. This load gives 1200 fps. out of my barrel and will handle anything in the world if needed. Compact, easy carring sledge hammer. I know the question was about PA but I only carry one handgun all the time so I built it for any and all situations, mice to elephants and anything in between.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
.44 mag 6+, cause that's what I have, a Super Redhawk.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
44 mag for me. I nrmally only carry while hunting. Never had a 357. Been thinking about getting one though as a 44 can get heavy.

For other carrying in the woods I carry my 22 mag revolver. This is when I'm out scouting pre-season or fishing.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i had to go with the 2" .357. i feel your poll is to open: Hiking, hunting and camping. I take my m&p 340 hiking and camping, but will never take it to hunt with. that what its buddies 686, 629 and 500 are for. and they all have the 8 3/8 barrels on them

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Blued 44 Mag. Ruger Bisley Vaquero with a 4 5/8" bbl. carried in an El Paso Saddlery Threeperson's holster. Loaded with Lyman 429421 cast SW's with Unique at 950 fps. It works.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
438 Posts
I carry the Ruger Black Hawk in 45 Colt reload For her and she likes them.I had a 44mag Ruger years ago would love to have that back but this one I will not part with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Muab Dib said:
Blued 44 Mag. Ruger Bisley Vaquero with a 4 5/8" bbl. carried in an El Paso Saddlery Threeperson's holster. Loaded with Lyman 429421 cast SW's with Unique at 950 fps. It works.

Muab Dib, we have twins love the Threeperson's from El Paso. Did you get the retension strap or the hammer thong. I got it with the hammer thong for my 45 Colt. Can not reccomend El Paso enough great producys at a fair price.
Muab Dib

1 - 20 of 36 Posts