The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A "Conversation" I had today w/ Alan Probst, Host of Pennsylvania Wild w/ Alan Probst

So here's his page:
https://www.facebook.com/WildPenn

I put a RESPECTFUL, carefully crafted response to his post about why he was participating in the ESOS. It wasn't negative or threatening any sort of boycott, etc.

He promptly deleted them, slightly irked about wasting the time on his page I sent him the following message: "Big of you to delete my comments." His response: "Your comments were deleted because you are not man enough to sign your name to them. Alan Probst" (Who signs their name after a facebook comment? It's right there on your profile.) My response: " Hit me up: https://www.facebook.com/-my personal FB Profile- (I had accidently been using the profile of a FB page I have, it still had my name on the page though), you can block that too if you want." His response: "Don't have time for this (censored) measuring contest Seth.....all the best!!!!"

Normally I'd just say this was/is par for the course with A LOT of people. Now I've known Alan and we'd been casual, friendly acquaintances while he was still trying to get his outdoor TV thing off the ground going on ten years ago. (Coincidentally, around that time I spent some time with Dave Watson (Bushnell Outdoors) before getting into freelance work in sports broadcasts.) It wouldn't bother me so much if he didn't project himself as such good role model for kids and the outdoors. It's a respect thing I guess. I hold no ill will, but I just don't get the logic or the puffery in his responses.

I'm just a little grumpy I guess?

I like everyone else want to see this show bigger and better next year, under new organization, too bad Reed had to make it political.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just sent him a comment on the page WITH MY NAME so he has no excuse on that one.. I disagree with his stance, but nothing we can do about that... however we CAN boycott his show or any other endeavors that he may pursue as well as contact the sponsors he has and tell then that we disagree with his stance and why

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i do not have a facebook account. Not because I hate tech, but because I enjoy my privacy.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
angus said:
i do not have a facebook account. Not because I hate tech, but because I enjoy my privacy.
Angus, your are missing out on some very good grouse fellowship.
True Story.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Just went to his page and he deleted just about everything.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Lyco Setter said:
angus said:
Angus, your are missing out on some very good grouse fellowship.
True Story.
I believe it.

Things is, there are some good guys on HPA who hunt grosue and spread word through PM.

·
Registered
895 Posts
angus said:
Do I have an AMEN !!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My final thought on this:

I checked his page a few moments ago and I see he has sinced changed his tune somewhat. Paraphrased (not quoted, go to his page for his exact words): "I'm awaiting a decision/statement by the ESS in light of the NRA pulling out...I trust the NRA's judgement...they were still in which is why I was". I do not beleive that was in his original argument, probably an afterthought.

Frankly I think he's using this as a scapegoat/emergency exit. Fine, but I think the ensued backlash has more to do with a pending decision than the principle of the matter...standing up for the second amendment. At any rate, should he back out, I hope the boots of public opinion decide to move on. Hopefully he pulls out, lesson learned, live and learn, forgive and forget.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Lyco Setter said:
My final thought on this:.... lesson learned, live and learn, forgive and forget.
Agree. There is no point in maligning a vendor for waiting to hear what others say. I think lots of vendors felt there was no reason to rush to a decision. Those who aren't shipping merchandise to the show can decide on set-up day if they want. Few of us can think this through thoroughly on our own anyway. Some, like the NRA, are in a position to talk to people at Reed and know what they are thinking and how intransigent they are. I have no problem with anyone holding off on a decision, or even changing their minds. The important thing is that in the end, they make an informed, well-considered decision.

Steve.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts