The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tolls will rise on Sunday by 10% for cash customers and 2% for Easy Pass customers.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I've never understood why there are so many toll roads in the east, but not in the western US.

Of course money is needed to fund roads, but somehow I80 is funded running the whole way across southern Idaho, a place where the population is low, without any tolls.

·
Super Moderator
29,201 Posts
I80 runs across PA without any tolls.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
They pay to much,take the toll takers making over $20.00 and hour for giving change.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
peep site said:
They pay to much,take the toll takers making over $20.00 and hour for giving change.
Gov't worker union. One of the greatest problems our country faces.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
peep site said:
soon there will be no toll collectors here in pa,, some states already are all automated like florida ,the lower increase for easy pass is meant to get more people to use it ,the unions are simply pricing themselves right out of a job once again

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
BcozHunter said:
I80 runs across PA without any tolls.
That's true. But what's the explanation of why some highways have no tolls and some have tolls, and pretty steep ones at that, such as the PA turnpike?

Are there ANY turnpikes in the western USA? I've done some traveling out there and never came across any. But I haven't been everywhere in the west. (Mostly just where the trout streams are!)

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
They have tried to make I-80 a toll road on different occasions, it has been fought by those who live and do business along I-80. Part of the toll money was to be used to fund mass transit in Pittsburgh and Philly.

With the increase of the turnpike tolls, heavy truck traffic is increasing on I-80.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
One toll taker lady Karen Dupree made $97,621.00 with lots of overtime.You have to know someone up high or a politician that has some pull to get a job on the turnpike.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Big Redneck said:
With the increase of the turnpike tolls, heavy truck traffic is increasing on I-80.
Yep. I live near I80 and travel it often. The truck traffic is heavy. And many of them seem to think that the 80 in I80 is a minimum speed on downhill runs.

·
Super Moderator
29,201 Posts
Isn't, or was at one time, the turnpike considered a "private" highway?

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Yes it was a privately owned highway . Not really part of Eisenhours defense highway system, which is now the interstate Highways...

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Dave2pa said:
TusseyMtMan said:
peep site said:
soon there will be no toll collectors here in pa,, some states already are all automated like florida ,the lower increase for easy pass is meant to get more people to use it ,the unions are simply pricing themselves right out of a job once again
They can reduce state police presence significantly too. You can hand out speeding tickets by measure time from entry to exit.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
Dave2pa said:
TusseyMtMan said:
peep site said:
They can reduce state police presence significantly too. You can hand out speeding tickets by measure time from entry to exit.
You know, I am suprised they haven't done this already.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Only a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
JMO
I believe all limited access highways should be toll roads , (pay to play) if this were to be done and the money collected used for the upkeep and repair of said roads we would have the best highway system in the nation.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
BcozHunter said:
Isn't, or was at one time, the turnpike considered a "private" highway?
History is great and all that, but times change. Or should. It's not a private highway now. They should fund the turnpike the same way as I80 and I81 etc. The tollbooths slow things down, they're annoying, unsafe, and cost a lot of money to build, maintain and staff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts