The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the summer my truck was totalled. In September I ended up buying a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD with only 94k on it.

So we did the paperwork and then the state says that the totals were wrong and to send them some extra money because the guy who processed the title transfer messed it up. So I called and lady at PennDOT said that the title person didn't charge me enough money for the title. Simple error ok I'll pay the state its monies.

Well I got the title and registration back yesterday and its titled as a 4A truck??? So I looked that up and registration is $212.00 a year? Insert numerous curse words here...

Are all 2500 HD trucks registered as this? I mean its a beater single cab work truck. This thing has no power anything, not even a tape player just a radio, its a 6.0 gas V8 with a manual transmission. How is registration $212.00 a year? If I was towing cars or something for a business maybe but I doubt I will put 2k miles on it this year.

I will literally only use this thing to hunt and haul small loads. In google searching I've read where you can title down a truck in PA or register it as a lower class? Does anyone have any experience in doing that? I called PennDOT again but the lady I talked to had no idea what I was talking about... Are all 2500HD trucks titled like this?

Below is a picture of my truck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
If it is over 9000 lbs it is correct.When the rates went up about 3 years ago you could no longer down class a truck in Pa.If the sticker states over 9000 lbs you won't win trying to fight it.9001 up to 10,000 lbs is 4A then it goes to 4B.Info below is from the current form in use.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Forms/MV-70S.pdf

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats dumb. Oh well, I really like the truck though so I'm not going to sell it or anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
I'm paying the same for my 2500. I wouldn't own a 1500 series. They're just cars with a bed behind them. I've driven 3/4 tons for the last 20 years....they're built heavy enough that they don't nickel and dime you to death for bearings and brakes. When you load em up, they still handle great. The 6 liter motor is one tough engine, I think you could dump sand in the crankcase and it'll still run.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Registration went up to $217 this year. Your 2500 is emissions exempt so, that offsets the cost a little at inspection time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, at least you got a manual transmission. Try finding that in a full size today.
I know right? I love manual transmissions. My daily driver is a 15 Toyota 4Runner Trail and if I could have bought that in a manual I would have. I used to have a 94 Ford Explorer sport that was a 5 speed also.

Automatics are so boring. I'm in my early 30s and it always surprises me how many of my friends have no idea how to drive manual.

·
Registered
539 Posts
OK unless they changed the rules, you can REGISTER your truck at a LOWER Class and then PAY less a yr for that

BUT if you get caught with a payload HIGHER Than what you register it at, you can be fined, if your in an accident and its OVER class weight, you can be liable for the accident

I have owned 10+ 3/4 ton trucks, and used to register for next class down on the gasser's (think it was 178 a yr) and then due to diesel truck just weights more, I go up to the next class for them 212 a yr

But I have known friends that registered there 3/4-1 tons as 1/2 tons, to save a few bucks?

to me, NOT worth the troubles, as I do haul some weight from time to time and I don't like to gamble, as I don;'t even win when I do!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Registration went up to $217 this year. Your 2500 is emissions exempt so, that offsets the cost a little at inspection time.
NOT true, unless its a diesel
a 3/4 ton truck is still emissions required if you live in the country's that require it
I am 100% positive on this

and DODGE/RAM< still makes and sells a HD truck with a manual trans
for how much longer??

BUt the main reason NO one does is, computers cannot adjust them and all like they can on an auto
and folks are just too LAZY to shift gears
Auto trans have been proven now to outlast manuals too

I personally wouldn;t want one again, just see NO reason to be shifting gears, when they have semi auto trans in autos now, so you can lock out to a gear you want, same as a a manual
so, NO more pro's to a manual, just CON"S
IMO
in a sports car , OK, I"m in, but a daily driver? NO way, not worth the hassle

·
Registered
539 Posts
if its over 9000 gvw its emission exempt doesnt have to be a diesel.
well in Lackawanna co, my last 2-3, 2006-2004-2001 , dodge ram 2500, crew cab 4x4 long beds
every one needed emission testing at inspection time?
I know for a fact, as I had to pay for it and had the print out when inspected ??
SO< I don't know about this, maybe something changed, but in 2015 I HAD to have it emission tested at inspection time?

the GAS 3/4 trucks weigh in about 7700 lbs, empty on a scale, (owned several of them)
NOW my current 2016 dodge 2500 diesel weights in at 8700 lbs empty, and NO emissions, got inspected yesterday as a fact?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Statewide, any vehicle gas or diesel, registered over 9,000 pounds is exempt. All of my Chevy 2500s have been registered at 9500 pounds.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well as I said, I was always charged for emission testing when inspections came due on ALL my other 3/4 ton trucks since they started the emission testing?
so, thats a bunch of yrs and different places that SCAMMED ME then?

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
The registered GVWR has nothing to do with emissions,it's the tag on the body put there when built.Anything OVER 9000 lbs gvwr is exempt.I don't care what it weighs on a scale.9000 lbs gvwr and under gets tested.Providing it is registered in an area that requires it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts