The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be travelling the route mentioned in the subject line. Pretty sure Md does not reciprocate with Pa ? So, is there any provisions at all made for people passing through Md with a Pa conceal permit ? Or is there no way that I can take a weapon ?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

Scroll down to the "Safe Passage" section, as that is what applies here.

Be aware that it has been documented that NY state, for example, ignores this and confiscates banned firearms in many situations where this could be construed to apply. I don't know what MD's reputation is in such situations.

The gist of the text is that you can transport through a state where the firearm is not permitted, IF:

-It is either in a separate compartment from the driver and passengers, or it is in a locked container separate from the ammunition; and

-You are traveling from and to areas that permit the firearm; and

-You make only short stops in the prohibited area for gas and food.

I am leery of this, however, and if an officer decided to confiscate/press charges, even in violation of this, you're now in for a long and expensive ride.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I had to travel to Northern Virginia a few times last year. It added a few miles, but I drove through Western Maryland for about one mile before it crosses back into WV. It was worth it to me not having to deal with areas of Maryland that aren't firearm friendly.

I avoided prolonged exposure in Maryland at all costs while traveling with a firearm because there was a documented case of police pulling over a driver looking for a concealed firearm.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/30/gun-owners-fear-maryland-cops-target-them-for-traf/

However, I too am leery about how certain areas of this country respect the safe passage law.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leery of this, however, and if an officer decided to confiscate/press charges, even in violation of this, you're now in for a long and expensive ride.
I recently found a new route, and it cuts much of my Md ride out. However, I still am on I-68 for about 30 mins or so, just before I cross the PA line again (or WV line, depending on which direction I'm heading). It would be no problem for me to keep the firearm in a case in the trunk until I hit WV, but my thoughts are always around "what if" I get pulled over. I know, I know... just don't speed or run a sign, BUT, sometimes I lapse.
I'm not sure if I would announce that I had a weapon in the trunk, and deal with a possible mess, or just ignore it until I hit WV.

The reason I want to be armed, is that I travel the route at night to avoid traffic, and there are some areas that are really out in "Podunk" land. A flat tire, and a crack addict with nefarious intentions, can pose a problem that I would like to be prepared to deal with. I'm sure you all feel the same way.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's even worse, as there is a good chance of the question "Do you have a Firearm" coming up.

Maybe I should solicit any LEO's or former LEO's on the board, and ask for their advice ?

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[
This should cover it from what you posted, thanks for that. BUT, I would hate to rely on Wiki as the main source. "But, but, officer, Wiki said it was ok".

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I just used Wiki because it was the most concise.

Use the terminology and you can get the law itself from other sources. I agree that anything with "wiki" in it is not really what you want to hinge your legal defense upon.

That gave a good, succinct overview, but you can get the actual legal statute online too.

What worries the hades out of me with driving through MD and similar states is that when you're on the side of a highway with an officer who doesn't know and/or care about this law, you can wind up with some REAL issues that become yours to resolve, whether they are appropriate/just or not.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What worries the hades out of me with driving through MD and similar states is that when you're on the side of a highway with an officer who doesn't know and/or care about this law, you can wind up with some REAL issues that become yours to resolve, whether they are appropriate/just or not.
Well, that is a valid concern for sure. And taking a willy-nilly approach to anything regarding firearms, is not a good approach. But, there are so many twists regarding firearm carry, your common "laymen" such as myself, has a hard time keeping up with everything. And to not know all the "rules" can really land an otherwise good intentioned individual in a world of doo-doo.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
That sure is the truth.

People don't get it, but that's why the NRA is fighting the push by city mayors in PA to permit different firearm laws in their cities. The reason the NRA is fighting that is because as soon as a municipality can enact different laws from the rest of the state, you wind up with a patchwork of laws that no person can possibly keep straight. And at that point, it's nearly impossible to travel even within the state with a firearm. Imagine driving to a hunt in the western US, but having to cross PA first on the turnpike. Or to drive to PHL airport to catch a plane out to a hunt. Or travelling to Allentown to visit relatives. All would require you to know what the laws are in every municipality you traverse on your route.

This is the issue the Safe Passage Act was meant to mitigate for people who are traveling....so you'd only need to know the laws in your origin and destination and comply with those laws. If these mayors get their way, you'll now have to know each municipality's law within the Commonwealth, and I don't think the (Federal) Safe Passage Act would apply to intra-state travel.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
A Federal Permit to carry a concealed handgun by certain federal agencies are not honored in Maryland so if you think your state permit is good then you may want to call the NRA and talk to them...

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... another question for those of you that more than likely know more about LTCF and such than I do. Is the weapon considered "concealed", and is it legal, for me to drive through states that reciprocate with PA, under my car seat rather than physically on my person ? A 400+ mile drive is more comfortable with the gun not on my person.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Fleroo said:
... another question for those of you that more than likely know more about LTCF and such than I do. Is the weapon considered "concealed", and is it legal, for me to drive through states that reciprocate with PA, under my car seat rather than physically on my person ? A 400+ mile drive is more comfortable with the gun not on my person.
I find from my research that "concealed" varies from state to state. Some are like PA where a loaded firearm in a vehicle is concealed and others allow you to have it off your person, in a glovebox, etc.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I live in Md. and its a communist state when it comes to hand guns. No Md. will not recognize what you have unless your retired law enforcement. You should have gun in lock box up front and ammo in trunk so cant reach both at some time. Isnt this some crap. Let me know where your heading and I will give you best route.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Also if your pulled over don't lie, if you do and they search and find it you will be cuffed. If you are caught with it loaded you will be cuffed and taken in, no warning or no summons to show up in court 30 days later. This happens to a lot of truckers passing thru, please take my advise I know my state laws and they suck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts