The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now. The Pennsylvania Taxidermists Association is NOT pulling out. When the President was questioned why not? His response was:

Because we're an invited guest. The space is free, and there's lots of money that would be missed. I feel membership would be upset for missing out on potential customers which means money.

I am a LIFE MEMBER of the PTA and am sorely disappointed and let them know that I would have NO PROBLEM with the PTA pulling out for the message it would send to Reed Expo, and to the customers whom we are supporting through taxidermy.

Bad move PTA!

·
Registered
25,731 Posts
While I support any business or org that pulls out in support of the Second Amendment, I cannot condemn those orgs that decide to participate.

Many of them rely on the exposure to grow/maintain their memberships and the money raised annually at the ESOS for their operating costs throughout the year, to pull out and kiss that opportunity goodbye.

I've been volunteering with orgs during ths show for about 18 years, so I'll be there out of loyalty to them IF they decide to participate. Even though Reed's decision greatly upsets me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't they organize/run "SHOT Show"?
Did they do the same for that show?
It is on right now... even closer to the event they use to justify their position.

The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT Show) and Conference is the largest and most comprehensive trade show for all professionals involved with the shooting sports, hunting and law enforcement industries. It is the world's premier exposition of combined firearms, ammunition, law enforcement, cutlery, outdoor apparel, optics and related products and services. The SHOT Show attracts buyers from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. The SHOT Show is owned and sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and is produced and managed by Reed

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The PTA gets the space at the show for FREE! In effect, Reed PAYS the PTA to be there. Nothing would be accomplished by the PTA boycotting the show. It would hurt only the PTA members that have worked so hard on their pieces and the show patrons that enjoy the show.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Paul C said:
The PTA gets the space at the show for FREE! In effect, Reed PAYS the PTA to be there. Nothing would be accomplished by the PTA boycotting the show. It would hurt only the PTA members that have worked so hard on their pieces and the show patrons that enjoy the show.
X2

·
Registered
465 Posts
Paul and Joe, we understand this but if customers and patrons stand united, Reed Expositions will cave to our will. If they see a loss in money due to lack of participation they will have to bend to our will. Who is going to show up at this show anti-gunners or pro-gunners?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
scottm2012 said:
Paul and Joe, we understand this but if customers and patrons stand united, Reed Expositions will cave to our will. If they see a loss in money due to lack of participation they will have to bend to our will. Who is going to show up at this show anti-gunners or pro-gunners?
I understand what you're saying Scott. However, the PTA must look out for its members. The PTA participation in the Sport Show is as a Taxidermy Competition and public display. This is done as a service to the members to allow them to have their work judged by a respected judge, critiqued by the judge and displayed to the attending public to see. Politics aside, this is a taxidermy competition for PTA members that the PTA is allowed to put on free of charge in a huge venue. The PTA not going to the show will NOT stop anyone else from going and will NOT send a message to Reed except that the FREE SPACE that they have been giving the PTA is no longer wanted.
I stand by the Board's decision to stay with the show.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One day a wood cutter ask the trees in the forest which one of them would be the best for his ax handle. The Oak tree answered : “Even though I am very strong I provide the forest animals with acorns for their food and am much too valuable for just a handle.”. The Hickory tree answered: “I too am strong , but my fruit is very valuable also”. And so answered all the trees in the forest except the lowly Ash tree. All the forest agreed it should be the Ash tree that is sacrificed for a handle. Soon the woodcutter had his new handle and began to cut down the forest. Seeing their fate the Oak tree said to the Hickory : “If only we would have stuck together and not sacrificed one of our weaker members . We may have been able to survive this awful fate”. Aesop’s fables

Be care full who you stand with.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
joepet said:
One day a wood cutter ask the trees in the forest which one of them would be the best for his ax handle. The Oak tree answered : “Even though I am very strong I provide the forest animals with acorns for their food and am much too valuable for just a handle.”. The Hickory tree answered: “I too am strong , but my fruit is very valuable also”. And so answered all the trees in the forest except the lowly Ash tree. All the forest agreed it should be the Ash tree that is sacrificed for a handle. Soon the woodcutter had his new handle and began to cut down the forest. Seeing their fate the Oak tree said to the Hickory : “If only we would have stuck together and not sacrificed one of our weaker members . We may have been able to survive this awful fate”. Aesop’s fables

I like that one. Ahhhh...the good old days of being in grammar school.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joepet said:
“If only we would have stuck together and not sacrificed one of our weaker members . We may have been able to survive this awful fate”. Aesop’s fables

Fellas. As a Life Member of the PTA for the majority of 19 years, my message here is this. The PTA is a FINE organization run by the same great people who take membership in it. Much like this country SHOULD be run. (They certainly run a MUCH better budget). I simply, and quite strongly, disagree with the message they are sending through the stance they are taking on this issue. The PTA is not the enemy for a misguided position.

This issue involves both the PTA members, AND the people who support us...hunters. As we are all American citizens and gun owners protected by the Constitutions and it's Bill of Rights. Which is currently being trampled upon. I refuse to attend a show that is run by British rule. It's symoblic, in that we escaped such rule centuries ago for nearly the same reasons we are up against today. I choose instead to stand up for my American Rights with you. For You, Me, my children, their children, and out of respect for the American soldier who gave their life defending those Rights, and to those who continue to fight for them. I personally won't let FREE TABLE SPACE, (with all due respect), or bank roll come first over the long term benefit of standing by the above mentioned Patriotism.

Without those Rights. It all means nothing anyway!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes....please see it! There is <span style="text-decoration: underline">great</span> discussion going on there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts