The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
State legislators have come out swinging, intending to do with wildlife managers what they feel sportsmen in Pennsylvania have been unable to do — get their attention and be heard.

Sen. Richard Alloway, R-33, chair of the state Senate Game and Fisheries Committee, said a large number of lawmakers in Harrisburg feel the Pennsylvania Game Commission is completely ignoring them and that what they feel is important.............

“While most of us agree with biology and science, it’s important to throw in the social factor of hunting as well and what it means to our heritage,” he said......

Some lawmakers feel their only option is a heavy hand — to legislate what they can’t accomplish through dialogue with the agency.

In fact, Sen. Donald White’s, R-41, Senate Bill 597 would place game commission decision-making under review of the Independent Regulatory Review Commission. Alloway has signed onto the bill.

“My bill would make PGC regulations subject to the same review currently required by nearly all departments, boards, commissions and agencies in state government,” White said. “I believe PGC regulations should be subject to this review, which provides transparency in the development of regulations and allows valuable input from the public and the General Assembly.”

The Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs disagrees. On its website, the federation said that “Allowing the legislature to dabble in wildlife management issues, like antler restrictions, which is used as a management tool, would be a very bad precedent to set,”

“It would be based on personal, emotional and political whims instead of sound scientific data based on what is best for the resources.”

Meeting in Harrisburg with outdoor writers, Alloway said the purpose of some bills is to generate dialogue, as much as to gain passage. He said that while he’s not sure the regulatory commission oversight measure has votes to pass, he thinks it could trigger much-needed “talk about what’s best for our sportsmen.”.......

He said the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the sporting community would need to promote recovery of herd numbers in order to “tet outdoorsmen of all kinds to get back and enjoy it, stay overnight, buy things,” and revive the economy......

Proposed legislation in the state House would reduce terms for game Commission board members from eight years to four. They could be re-appointed to second terms.

The sportsmens clubs called this “a misguided attack that will allow back door attempts by the legislature to mandate the commissioners ‘toe the line’ or risk not being reconfirmed.”

In the past, many sportsmen in Pennsylvania have been loathe to have politicians meddle in fish and game management. But as frustration builds, hunters especially seem more willing to reconsider.

http://cumberlink.com/sports/outdoors/ou...19bb2963f4.html

·
Registered
18,702 Posts
What the legislature needs is a bill to remove alloway. Oh yea, the people keep voting him in.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Sen. Richard Alloway, R-33, chair of the state Senate Game and Fisheries Committee, said a large number of lawmakers in Harrisburg feel the Pennsylvania Game Commission is completely ignoring them and that what they feel is important.............
And how many times has PGC Executive Director Carl Roe, been invited to appear before the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee for an annual presentation, since Sen. Alloway has been the Majority Chair?

As far as I can tell, zero? Yet Roe appears before the House Game and Fisheries Comm. at least once per year. Although I did note that Roe appeared before this Senate Committee's meeting last week, during discussion of several bills.

Some of us sat in during a House Game and Fisheries Comm. meeting last year, when several members attacked both ED Roe and the PGC, over deer issues. Roe repeatedly offered to meet with those members individually, to answer their questions and discuss these issues.

How many took advantage of that offer? To the best of my knowledge, zero.

Apparently it's better to publicly rant about such things for the benefit of ones' constituents, than actually delve into finding answers and solutions.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
The Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs disagrees. On its website, the federation said that “Allowing the legislature to dabble in wildlife management issues, like antler restrictions, which is used as a management tool, would be a very bad precedent to set,”
Lets hope enough members of the Senate and HOuse listen to the PFSC to stop this nonsense...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You want people to drive north again and you need one of two things. Cut the state tax on gas to lower price or Sunday hunting. I for one and i know plenty more can't justify one to two hundred dollars to fill the truck to drive up for one day of hunting

·
Registered
18,702 Posts
timberdoodle said:
Lets hope enough members of the Senate and HOuse listen to the PFSC to stop this nonsense...
A few find the pfsc positions on issues noteworthy. Many do not. As unfortunate as that is.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TeflonDon said:
You want people to drive north again and you need one of two things. Cut the state tax on gas to lower price or Sunday hunting. I for one and i know plenty more can't justify one to two hundred dollars to fill the truck to drive up for one day of hunting

I can think of a few more.

As evidenced in the US Census reports, the long term sub-par existence of the NC area of the state in economic, transportation, business, school measures, and social measures is a direct reflection of the General Assembly not doing their jobs.

The general Assembly is tasked with providing the resources to improve the economy and quality of living.

Not he GC. In the title authorizing the GC, there is not one word giving them, or making them responsible for any economic consideration.

If I recall, the last time the GC was invited to present their annual testimony to the senate G&F committee was around 2009.

For some it is a unnecessary practice, but it does provide a slim margin of time that the senators are focused on the annual report and the GC and programs / actions.

To say there is a great gulf of missing information and or misunderstanding between the senate and the GC and PFBC would be an understatement.

But, neither agency can act alone. Both require an actual engaged and honest partner that is the House and senate G&F and the General Assembly at large to be effective.

At best, we have political badminton being played by those elected. Clearly, as Alloway stated in the article, he is using legislation to beat the agencies into submission. He seems proud of it as well.

I call it childish and very reminiscent of the attack former Senator Gib Armstrong made n the DWCO's a few years ago. Alloway is using his office and attendant power for things they were not intended for.

The senate and sportsmen in general would be far better served if Alloway was censured and removed from the chairman's seat. I suggested just that in my last letter to those on the Sen F&G.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another article:

On the eve of last week's quarterly meeting of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's board of game commissioners... three members of the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee used the occasion to talk about the plan by legislators to increase their communication with the sportsmen of the state.

Committee chairman Sen. Rich Alloway (R-33) hosted the reception and news conference in Harrisburg and was joined by the committee's minority leader Sen. Richard Kasunic (D-32) and committee member Sen. Lisa Baker (R-20). These goals and long-range plans of the committee were presented in what senators hope was the first of many meetings with representatives from the Pennsylvania Game Commission, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and members of the Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association.

"This is the first time in recent memory that the Game and Fisheries Committee has made the effort to reach out to sportsmen and communicate what is going on at the state capitol level," Alloway said. ............

Alloway said there was good dialogue between the senators and sportsmen, and that the committee hears them loud and clear. Senators Kasunic and Baker related those same sentiments................

While questions were fielded concerning consolidation of the fish and game commissions, senators Alloway and Kasunic both stated bluntly the voices they have heard from that sportsmen show that there is no support for that.... Also addressed was Senate Bill 647, ...........

In essence, wildlife conservation officers can now enforce private property trespass violations, and this need has been identified for years by property owners who have been frustrated by trespass violations that WCOs and their deputies were not authorized to enforce them....

Putting teeth into trespass laws, the violation becomes a summary violation and a second offense can result in forfeiture of the privilege of hunting in Pennsylvania.

Some hunters have been upset over the high doe allocations and reduction in deer herds in specific northern wildlife management units, and Alloway said his committee is backing the Pennsylvania Wilds Initiative and is investigating doe allocations that may have a negative economic impact. ......

"Sunday hunting is a hot button issue, but quite frankly, there is a lot of resistance by some farmers and property owners," Alloway said. ........

............ <span style="font-weight: bold">Alloway stated flatly that more lumbering is needed. He believes that with the mature hardwoods preventing the understory from developing, deer just have nothing to eat.</span>.........

http://republicanherald.com/state-legislators-sportsmen-meet-to-discuss-issues-1.1475005

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Alloway stated flatly that more lumbering is needed. He believes that with the mature hardwoods preventing the understory from developing, deer just have nothing to eat..........
Well that is a new twist. Blame the trees for the lack of trees.
Waugh!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
He's more right than wrong on that particular point. There's a reason why there is a Deer on every "corner" here in SW PA compared to the northcentral, and it has little to do with hunting practices, as I'm sure, SW PA is hunted way harder than the NC region.

1% is an awful low harvest percentage for such a renewable resource. But.... being familiar with logging and it's practices, I also understand that the market SHOULD fully dictates what and when timber is harvested.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
At this point, I dont care whos running what. Ive curbed my travel and buying in hunting and it will take drastic changes to make that change.

$21.70 - extra spring tag
$6 - antlerless

Somethings are just bassackwards

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Fleroo said:
He's more right than wrong on that particular point. There's a reason why there is a Deer on every "corner" here in SW PA compared to the northcentral, and it has little to do with hunting practices, as I'm sure, SW PA is hunted way harder than the NC region.

1% is an awful low harvest percentage for such a renewable resource. But.... being familiar with logging and it's practices, I also understand that the market SHOULD fully dictates what and when timber is harvested.
So what % should be cut each year? 2,5, 10, all depending on markets obviously? WOuldn't going to even 2% lead to a 50 year rotation and we'd be cutting pulpwood trees instead of sawtimber?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Alloway stated flatly that more lumbering is needed. He believes that with the mature hardwoods preventing the understory from developing, deer just have nothing to eat..........
I just think he is confused with the term understory. The overstory always dictates the understory. But deer more often than not feed on the fruit and young of the overstory. Waugh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts