The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMORANDUM
Posted: January 9, 2013 02:43 PM
From: Representative Ronald Waters and Rep. Madeleine Dean, Rep. Steven Santarsiero
To: All House members
Subject: Rep. Ron Waters & Rep. Madeleine Dean: Assault Weapons Ban (re-circulation)
In the near future, I plan to re-introduce House Bill 2592 of the 2011-2012 Legislative session, which will ban the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Since the federal law prohibiting assault weapons lapsed in 2004, many states have considered legislation to ban assault weapons. According to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, seven states have enacted laws banning assault weapons to varying degrees, including California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. In addition, other states have implemented partial bans or restrictions through law or regulation.

Currently, Pennsylvania does not prohibit the sale or transfer of assault weapons. Once a Pennsylvania resident is deemed eligible to purchase a firearm, that individual is permitted to obtain any weapon of their choice, including highly powerful and dangerous assault weapons. My legislation would amend Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes by creating a new section, §6121.1 (Certain Assault Weapons Prohibited), to prohibit the possession, use, control, sale, transfer, or manufacture of an assault weapon in the Commonwealth. However, this legislation includes exemptions for members of the United States Armed Forces, Reserve components, the National Guard and law enforcement officers who are performing official duties or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty.

Sadly, gun violence continues to permeate cities and towns across America. The time to act is now. Please join me in sponsoring this crucial legislation. If you have any questions, please contact Germaine Brown in my office via email at [email protected] or at 717-772-9850.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
the feds know it cant get passed so they are getting the states to do the dirty work for them it seems.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
It talks about possession being illegal, so does that mean they want to try and confiscate them? I don't see how this doesn't violate both the U.S. constitution and the PA constitution.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And again it is the Democrats from the Philly area that are pushing this... WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN.... oh... never mind.. they wont

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
schr8er2000 said:
And again it is the Democrats from the Philly area that are pushing this... WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN.... oh... never mind.. they wont
The same Democrats that got 108% of the vote for Dear leader in Phila.

The PA congress is dominated by the GOP. The libs will have a tough sale.

Note the provision : bans USE, SALE, and OWNERSHIP. That means that your guns would not only be valueless, but if you took them to the range and USED them, you would be committing a FELONY.

This is all a slippery slope to confiscation. Then, we will all be TAXED LIKE THE EVIL RICH.

This is about gov't control. They want us slaves to the gov't. You work, to give to Washington, Harrisburg, etc, and you can't do a thing about it. Vote? Think that will matter? Obama will be going on his 6th term if they wipe out the 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once again, this is a bill seeking co-sponsors... at this point.

Why the gloom and doom? Over and over - the heated talk - but little in the way of developing solid actions to defeat this or lessen support from the outset - forward.

There is a process to all of this. Step one - get informed. Step two - be involved. in this case contact your state Rep and tell him whey you stand and what you expect. Being harsh, name calling and the such can turn potential support against use.

Be direct, be firm, and be clear in your communication with legislators.

BUT - waiting until the bill is actually introduced - to late. The battle needs to join at this early stage. Then - the battle needs waged as often as required until the bill is defeated.

Calling people names and equating them to the anti christ doesn't change anything. Using the time to bad mouth the opposition to actually oppose them via your rep - or changing others mind on the issue to garner public support and POLITICAL PRESSURE - priceless.

Be involved - be informed.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
OK, I know I should know this, but can anyone point me to where I would go to find who my state rep and state senators are?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Great question. Thanks for stepping up.

Be right back with that info...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sent my Rep an message on FB and already got a response:

"Yes Scott, I am aware of that proposal. I will not vote in support of anything that violates our Second Amendment rights." Rep. Causer

[edit] spelling

·
Registered
957 Posts
I sent Ms. Germaine Brown an email asking for her definition of an Assault Weapon.
Her response:
"Assault Weapon: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms;
any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use"

·
Registered
465 Posts
meatpoll said:
I sent Ms. Germaine Brown an email asking for her definition of an Assault Weapon.
Her response:
"Assault Weapon: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms;
any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use"
What is her definition of large capacity magazine? All handguns fit that description.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts