The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,273 Posts
Im getting fat running dogs and working on trial courses. Raspberries are over and wine berries have peaked. But blueberry and blackberries are coming on strong.

Cherry crop looks good, hawthorn crop looks fair at best in my area. I did find a hidden apple tree that is loaded.

Grouse seemed to be well scattered with all the soft mast, but i have found 2 broods in my favorite training cover. The young birds arent coming down off the roost until after 8 with all dew we are having right now.

·
Registered
10,273 Posts
Found my 3rd brood this morning. All the broods I'm finding are in cover with a fairly clean floor, but hanging in light overhead shrub layer cover, today it was ferns. Was surprised all the chick's were on the ground at 8am, they are usually still up in trees at that time until the dew dries out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Put the dogs on the ground in a couple new spots this morning. Didn’t move anything. The woodcock spot was looking fairly dry… Got hot and put the dogs up. Found a 3rd spot on the way out that looked perfect, excellent cover & multiple food sources, a cut from 2011… will put it on the list.

·
Banned
350 Posts
What part of the state are you folks find the grouse. There used to be tons of grouse In over grown strip mine properties, aspen stands and grape vine tangles. I have not flushed a single bird in two year. And I heard no drumming this spring. I sure miss them.

The area I'm talking about is mostly west central PA.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Woodcock are scarce right now, but I've seen this before in dry years, they'll be back. Each of derby dogs had a Woodcock find. Also moved a grouse while walking a trial course this afternoon.
Yeah, I got the feeling they have probably moved onto better climes from my local area. We've had hardly any rain in 2 months. I passed through one marsh that is usually a muddy slog, but it was like walking on dry ground. Found a lot of huckleberries though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had a grouse come out of a hemlock at 830 this morning, that's the tough part working dogs this time of year, grouse don't want to fly down until the dew is gone. Also found a Woodcock in mature timber at the edge of a 3 year old cut
I was looking thru my camera for mushroom pictures, and you and Ryn make a cameo appearance in the back! Woodcock and chanterelles make for a good PA summer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
BIG grouse, females dont grow that large. You know it the few times you see a grouse that big.

I dont think he is a killable bird. Too much pressure and you'll never get close to him. I'll try once in late November and again in December.
I've got one like that I've been chasing for 2 seasons. He's in a perfect spot for escape. Posts up on a steep mountainside in dense young birch & just sails downhill before the dog ever gets close enough to scent him. Will go check on him again this season but I reckon he'll best us...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts