The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for any John Deere Gator owners. I own a Gator CX 4x2 and I’m waiting for the delivery of a Gator XUV 4x4. When I tried to obtain a license plate for the CX a few years ago I was told that it did not require a Pa. plate like quads do. They are operated like my large JD farm tractor (no tags).

It seems that you are only given a receipt for the purchase and not an actual vehicle title that is required for registration.

Has anyone been stopped or questioned while operating a Gator without the plate?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
If no title is given upon purchase you may have it titled with the DCNR if it falls within the guidelines of a class I or Class II ATV.
Gators, would probably fall in Class II (I dont know the actual size and weight of the Gator)

But to attempt to answer your question......if you are planning on riding it on a State owned trail, it needs to be titled, registered and insured.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new Gator is about 1300 lbs and is 620 cc, the older one is about half of that. I was not planning on going on state land but would like to keep all options open and avoid trouble. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just went through this in the summer. The Deere dealer needs to request a form from Deere - I think it's called a certificate of origin. They mail it to the dealer and you pick it up there. Then take that letter and your purchase receipt to anyone that does car/atv registrations. You fill out your paperwork, pay fee and the state will mail you a title for the vehicle and they also send you a plate which will be a class 2 ATV plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts