The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I picked my daughter up a seemly slightly used Pa pellet. Yesterday trying to sight it in, I could not get it to group. Shots on the left were from the pa pellet, shots on the right are from my Hawkins at 50 yards. We started both guns with 70 grains 777 with round balls just for fun and practice. Then 80 grains 777 and round balls. Then 80 grains 777 and Hornady sst 250 sabots. Then 80 grains goex 3f and sst sabots. As you can see my gun on the right held pretty good groups no matter what combination. The pa was all over the place. We moved the sights here and there, but it would never really form any group. Any suggestions? Heavy sabots? More powder? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
What is the rate of twist in that rifle? If its 1 in 48 or slower it should shoot patched round ball's okay. What size round balls are you shooting? if its 490 you may want to use 495's. How thick is your patch? Most 1 in 48 twist rifles do okay with a 490 ball and a .015 patch but some don't. If its a fast twist you will need power belt bullets or sabots. Check that rate first. If it is a slow twist drop back to 60 grains of FFF and see where it goes. Then try a 495 ball. How do your patches look? Holes burned in them? Getting any blow by?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I had two 50 cal. Traditions PA Pellet. Both shot very consistent and accurately using the factory recommended load of 100grain pyrodex pellets (2-50 gr.) topped with 240grain Hornady .44 cal. XTP with the green sabots.They are 1/48 twist.

Reactions: BBB

·
Registered
55 Posts
As said above, I have had the best success with my Pellet shooting the pyrodex and sabots. I have never tried the roundball/patch combo because I haven't really needed to based on my groupings. If you can't get a good group, I'd give that a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. After another 30 or so shots with different combos of things mentioned above, I returned the gun to well known muzzleloader shop I purchased it from. They treated me like gold for a full refund and I purchased a new Lyman deerstalker. The owner said he would monkey with it and see what he could come up with.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for the help. After another 30 or so shots with different combos of things mentioned above, I returned the gun to well known muzzleloader shop I purchased it from. They treated me like gold for a full refund and I purchased a new Lyman deerstalker. The owner said he would monkey with it and see what he could come up with.
Now that sounds like a stand up guy, I would love to deal with someone like that, were was the shop?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sounds like the sight was moving or gun had an unnoticeable slight barrel bulge. Glad they took care of you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I was also thinking sights might not be tightened down tight
I once had a CVA (same outfit) and the rear sight was a new fangled box type rear sight and was a loose configeration in the sight itself

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why in the world would anyone want to struggle using T7 in a flintlock? Sure its "designed" to work better with it possibly, but still very terrible idea to use that junk.

Don't expect the lyman to do any better with that stuff!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Both of mine shoot 2 White Hot pellets and a 240 Hornaday with the black Sabot Better than I can shoot open sights at 100 Yards

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Pa pellet shot very well then one day it started throwing shots all over. It was the cheap plastic sights loosened up so I put a set of V-peeps on it from RMC and they are great. Shot my first deer with it yesterday. I'm using Goex 3f and a .490 ball with a .18 patch for the first shot then .15 patch after that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jethro15 I'm using 80grs. I was at 75grs.But I still have some tinkering to do next year. I found the round ball on the far side just under the hide and it was flat and still weighs 174.6gr. I don't like pass through shots like most people because I want the bullet to release all of it's energy in the animal (more shock). oh and it was a neck hit not where I was trying to hit but did the job.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mine also shoots 2 , 777 pellets, and a Hornady SST sabot quite well.
No issues with the gun, only the shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts