The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader here, around 15 years. Wife bought me this flintlock for Christmas, practiced with it and used it hunting all late season. I'm HOOKED.....the "store" sold her triple 7 pellets and 295 grain Power Belts, and I had a hard time grouping them. I want to start shooting with Goex 2X powder and roundballs, anyone know what these guns like to shoot? Any help is very appreciated.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I just got one too. Mine groups great with 3f 777 and 250rg sst sabots but the group is way too high on poi. If yours is the new ultralight like mine it has a 1:28 twist barrel and fwir that is too fast for patches round balls at normal velocities. If it is one with the octagon barrel it is 1:48 and you should be ok with prb

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine shoots 90 gr 3f with .490 lb and .020 patch with wonder lube, 11/2 inch off bags at 50 yards.

Good Luck, Stant

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excuse me but what's PRB? But now I'm starting to 2nd guess myself with using 2F down the barrel, have a pound of it but hearing 3F is better....?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Excuse me but what's PRB? But now I'm starting to 2nd guess myself with using 2F down the barrel, have a pound of it but hearing 3F is better....?
PRB is a Patched Round Ball

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! I just don't want to be paying $20 plus dollars for powerbelts and nearly $40 for the pellets. This is my first flintlock, and now I just need to hit the range soon with the PRB's and powder. My only regret is not getting into flintlock's years ago, although I missed 2 this late season it really prolonged my season. I'm hooked!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I use 70 gr 3F, green sabots and 240 GR Nosler 44cal soft points. Shoot well out to at least 80 yds and not too expensive.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I tried everything with mine, found that flintlocks have deeper rifle grooves and they do not seal the sabots as good as inlines, My inlines shoot sabots great, but my Pa. Pellet does not. I know if you have time to test you will find whats best in your rifle, Mine likes round balls. Also the trigger is adjustable, which makes a huge difference.

Good luck, Stant

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, You guys are awesome....I appreciate the help. I'm going with 2X and roundballs and hitting the range hard once the weather breaks here. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
548 Posts
You don't get many shots with 1 lb of powder, shoot what you have if its VG, fine, if not try 3f. if you shoot 90 gr you only get 77 shots. from a pound

Stant

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't get many shots with 1 lb of powder, shoot what you have if its VG, fine, if not try 3f. if you shoot 90 gr you only get 77 shots. from a pound

Stant
Nice way of breaking it down, I'm a flintlock newb.....Thanks Stant

·
Registered
548 Posts
After you shoot find some of the patches, They will tell you if you have the ball and patch combo just right. If you look at the patch you should not see any leakage where the grooves are. If you see the powder went past the groves the patches are to thin. If you have to really work to get the prb down the barrel its probably to big a patch. I clean the bore with windex with vinegar, 2 wet and 1 dry after every shot when sighting in, then if I am just shooting for fun every 2 shots as your first shot at a deer will be with a clean barrel.

Stant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts