The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge or experince with this outfit? http://www.littlegeneralhuntinglodge.com/

I'm just looking for a reputable place where I can be accomadated for a week as a lone, out-of-state hunter. Perhaps someone might have a suggestion or two regards some other PA outfitter?

msj

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
it looks interesting, its all public land hunting. you basicly pay to use the lodge and have them show you were to hunt. the price isnt bad. that is about as much as it would cost to rent a hotel a for 6 day do it your self hunt.
if your up a fair chase hunt and dont mind the fact that you may not get a kill it might be a good idea to check this place out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I may be mistaken but always thought it was illegal to guide for money or other compensation on state owned land in Pa.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I'm thinking theyre trying more for non residents...a place to stay and they show you public hunting spots, kind of like some outfitters from other states do. Its not illegal to accept payment to guide on public land.
Theres a lot of guides that do this in this state and others as well.

25ftup..... theyre hunting the Moshannon SF

I wonder what the lodge looks like as well.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I've hunted the area...seen some big ones but never harvested one.
I think that area is like every other one....the deer are there...just gotta find em, before another hunter does

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I hunt that area. The bucks in the photos are an acurate portrayal of what is there. Bucks up there can only get so big, I would say 130" max. The soil is poor and feed is limited.
Sounds like a good deal for those who live far away.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
500 for a 3 day hunt with a guide room and meals. I sometimes spend more then that and i own my own camp. Not a bad deal, beats a hotel and diner food all week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! Thank you very much for the lead. Steffan's operation looks very interesting indeed.

Deerhunted said:
http://www.alleghenywildernessoutfitter.com/ I personally know the owner Robert Steffan and his wife Pat...Have hunted with him for years and have become great friends with them. Great success for archery rifle and you can't beat the food. If you have any questions feel free to ask and good luck.

Chuck

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Would it be accurate to say this operation provides a "deer camp" experience for those without a camp to go to?

·
Registered
222 Posts
NeinPoint, don't know but did you happen to hunt with my father, Chuck Roller?

Bluetick, it def has a deer camp type experience with everything there. Great people and a great experience

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi people, new to board, in regards to little general , i have been hunting there since 1997, not every year, but 8 years, hunting went from great first years there to poor in 2005, hunted there this year in november for archery, 13 of us seen 98 bucks and 50% of them were 6pts to 10pts, not as many deer as before, but big bucks, some over 130 class, rich and janice are very nice people, food is excellent, lodge is very nice hunting camp,dish tv,propane heat, deer mounts all over the place, real nice, great guys hunt there..rich does his home work,runs trail cams from july on,and in woods almost everyday scouting..only ones that have bad things to say about the place are the jerks that he has to put up with..give him AA..for the money, best place i have ever been to..don't take pa hunters, they steal his spots..

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
buckstalker1 said:
..don't take pa hunters, they steal his spots..
Sounds like a nice place and a good hunt for the money, but I find the above statement interesting. If he is licensed to sell his services (I'm certain he would need to be licensed, not as a guide, but as an establishment, maybe as a bed & breakfast?) he could not discriminate by disallowing residents of Pa.

·
Registered
17 Posts
to the best of my knowlege,he is licensed bed and breakfast but has right to refuse a so called client if he wants..I run a business and have right to refuse clients, attorneys don't have to take every person that walks thru their door. thats not discrimination..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts