The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reporting that the head of the pgc wants a "brown its down" deer season next year statewide. No first 5 days of buck only. I hope this does not happen.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
There is a ongoing discussion about going back two weeks concurrent statewide. It may happen through an amendment at next weeks meeting.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
http://www.outdoornews.com/January-2013/Changes-for-deer-season-discussed/

Been asking for the BOC to return to that model for the last few years. Nothing new.

The BOC is constantly looking at options wanted by one group or another. That is the job.

Our job is to let them know what we want.

Personally, I am fine with a 12 day concurrent season. I topens up the entire calander for me during the rifle season. I can pick and choose when and where I will and can hunt without having to worry about if does are legal or not.

Control the antlerless harvest through tag allocation. Given the chance, I think this BOC will do just that. They are not as mired in the battle like the program originating board was.

This BOC does, and has taken the social side of the issue and given it equal footing with the science and needed harvests.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Well we did lead this year in deer/vehicle collisions this year. Go Figure!
You know I have a buddy that was out drinking and wrecked his car and he told the insurance people a deer stepped out on the road thats why he wrecked there was no deer he told us that. Theres an old saying goes like this Liars figure and figures lie.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Twowithone said:
You know I have a buddy that was out drinking and wrecked his car and he told the insurance people a deer stepped out on the road thats why he wrecked there was no deer he told us that. Theres an old saying goes like this Liars figure and figures lie.
yep, i can attest to that excuse as well, heard it many times only to hear the actual truth a few nights later once all the money was paid out. deer vs car can only be used legitimately if there is a carcass there to prove it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why does the season need to be two weeks? I mean after the first three days the deer are pretty much nocturnal. I don't understand and why does the bow season need to shut down almost two weeks before the start of gun season? It's the heat of the rut and the season closes. Any logic behind that? I also think each license should have two tags one being a buck and other being a doe. If PA hunters are having a hard time with the thought of over harvesting deer then why doesn't PA mimic a state with a good deer program?

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Twowithone said:
It's not a deer claim if you swerve to miss and it a tree.

The vast majority of claims involve an adjuster looking at the vehicle and there has to be evidence that the deer was struck.There doesn't have to be a carcuss but there should be evidence.I have no doubt that from time to time a deer hide gets rubbed accross a smashed bumper but the majority are legit

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always thought that the PGC was between a rock and a hard place on this. On one hand you have hunters clamoring that there are not enough deer, that too many doe are shot. In many parts of the state they probably are correct. The PGC on the other hand knows that it has to make x amount of dollars off of anterless tags. So, I propose, why not cut the number of tags in half(thereby appeasing the hunters) but doubling the price of the tag to $12.00. Thereby guaranteeing the PGC of making the money they want. Just an opinion, but it seems it would work.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
jrya said:
I have always thought that the PGC was between a rock and a hard place on this. On one hand you have hunters clamoring that there are not enough deer, that too many doe are shot. In many parts of the state they probably are correct. The PGC on the other hand knows that it has to make x amount of dollars off of anterless tags. So, I propose, why not cut the number of tags in half(thereby appeasing the hunters) but doubling the price of the tag to $12.00. Thereby guaranteeing the PGC of making the money they want. Just an opinion, but it seems it would work.
how will extending the season, but cutting tag allocations affect the pgc bottom line? if it was a money thing, wouldn't they want to sell MORE tags?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i never mentioned extending the season. and if you dont think the doe tag deal is a money thing, i got some beach property in arizona to sell ya...everything the pgc does is motivated by the $.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
ok, then explain why reducing allocations is in their best interest, financially. thats what would happen if the season were extended statewide to two weeks, the topic of this thread. more time=less licenses, less $$$.

and while you're at it, explain the financial logic of releasing thousands of pheasants.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
jrya said:
i never mentioned extending the season. and if you dont think the doe tag deal is a money thing, i got some beach property in arizona to sell ya...everything the pgc does is motivated by the $.
You Sir have no idea at all what you are talking about.

If they make the season concurrent for the entire deer season they reduce the antlerless allocation, which in turn means they make less money on antlerless license sales.

Every year the Board of Commissioners is presented with two sets of antlerless allocation recommendations. One is if they elect to go with a concurrent two-week season and the other allocation recommendation is for a split antlered/antlerless season. In EVERY case the allocation recommendation is lower if they have a concurrent two-week season.

If it was about money they would just go to a one day season and sell ten times as many antlerless licenses. Contrary to what some people like to think it is really ALL about the best deer management opinions and money has NOTHING what so ever to do with it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
G2CDeer said:
I dont know, with less hunters maybe the concurrent season wont change deer numbers.
really depends on whether the antler less tag allocatoins go down. less hunters but same amount of tags, there is still a possibility of continued over-kill in some areas. many are willing to just keep buying/shooting/tagging repeat without educating themselves on the current state of the herd in their area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts