The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new issue of Game News today and they had a real nice story about PA otters and a little side story from Tom Hardisky about the upcoming river otter management plan. I remember when they had a fisher management plan and we had a season within 3 years.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Have heard it from the mouths of two separate WCO's that the possibility of a limited otter season in PA is on the horizon. Yep.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
panaxman said:
it's about time, darn otters are everywhere!
Hardly any here. Too much mine drainage and polluted streams. They are slowly starting to recover. The Stonycreek River would be a potential place for otter since it's getting pretty clean. There are even fish all the way down to Johnstown now.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see the PGC starting out small with a limited otter season in Pike and Wayne Counties then expanding across the northern tier and the Susquehanna drainage. A season would be great!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Skinner said:
I have been staying out of some Beaver areas just to avoid dealing with the otters. Maybe soon I can get them both!
i used to. but i'm tired of working around the darn things. if i stayed out of every place i saw otter sign i wouldnt be trapping beaver at all. not that they are a million of them but they travel like crazy. there was at least some otter sign almost every place i set for beaver.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very good population in the NW region. Caught and turned in an incidental. I understand they travel for miles, but i saw sign (fresh sign) on multiple bodies of water this past friday during a 6" blizzard.
Actually had a science teacher ask if they were extinct... "no, if they were extict, I would have never had the opportunity to catch this", are they endangered? "no, they are over populated and protected; that is why we are seeing conflict/and disease amongst the population" Oh, I didn't know that. LOL Seriously, people need to get out more/ be more observant.
BTW The incidental showed up in a bg, no bait or lure, semi active climb-out, triggers far to the side..... Did everything I could possibally do. :-(

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Most people have no idea what critters are around, unless they hunt/trap/fish/farm. I can't even begin to tell you how many times people get surprised when I tell them about mink I've trapped. They think there are no mink around here. And I still see people, including hunters, who have no idea how many coyotes are around and for how long. So when I mention river otters, it's like when I mention mink.

Most people don't even see animal tracks and droppings, nor care to know, when they hike back in some state park or whatever. There's this guy on youtube who goes around looking for old abandoned houses in very rural Ohio. I watch his videos and can see animal tracks in snow, or he mentions raccoons in a house, but he never seems to look at the tracks or mention droppings. One video shows a groundhog hole along the side of a house, but could also be a skunk den. LOL and he complains about briars and ticks, but I never see him stepping down to make a trail ahead of him, something I'm quite good at. Or wearing brushbuster stuff. In some videos he is going through poison ivy. LOL. And lately he has gotten all paranoid about being caught tresspassing and won't even go in the houses anymore. Cheap entertainment...( I think he should get into trapping and get permission to trap these farms! I'm sure there's alot of coons in those old houses LOL)

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Few here in the NW. I've never seen one anywhere, ever. Would love to! Supposedly they're on French Creek up here, as I know people who claim to have seen them, but I never have.

always hunting, curious as to where you've seen them? I'm in Erie but grew up in Youngsville / Warren. I waterfowl hunt and spend a lot of time in marshes and swamps and along streams and rivers in the area and am surprised to read your post.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They have been coming up the Susq. river from Chesapeake drainages for decades.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Oh I know they are those drainages! LOL

In fact I know another trapper and he traps this same county ( balto co), but is near the Bay where he traps. He says these creeks there are full of otter slides and toilets. He hasn't had time to trap them in years though. Now next season I may be moved to Havre De Grace in Harford, and am hoping to get some nice spots for water trapping nearby. It's right where the big river drains into the Bay/where the Bay starts pretty much. I'm sure it's busting full of otters ( and grey foxes) on creeks and woodland swampy stuff nearby. Finding private land to trap on will be the hardest part. Filling my limit of 10 per season will probably be easy once the land use is granted.

I do hope Hardesky is looking at York and Lancaster counties. I used to trap otter within sight of the MD/PA line of Balto co and York co ( trapping in Balto co). I think the last 2 seasons I was there the bag limit was 10. Before that it was 5. I basically caught 2 a season, and yes I was actually setting for them. I think one came along about every week or so, but often didn't go where my traps were ( I saw where one came out of the water and ran across dry land for a bit before going back to water and went into another creek at that). I trapped mink and muskrats while waiting.

BTW, here's a cheater for whenever you guys do get an otter season- they are attracted to Caven's otter lure ( and fish oil with it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts