The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where I started Saturday morning I set up in the dark and, at gobbling time, heard three different ones. I couldn't do anything but sit until they all flew down because I had a couple hens close. Everyone flew down to a flat below me and then I saw none of them, but was able to call. They responded well and proceeded to go off with the hens LOL, never to be seen or heard from the rest of the morning.

This morning I decided to scout the area a bit...sans gun of course...by setting up where they flew down yesterday. I was literally amongst them. I had birds within ten yards walking about. One hen stood forever about 15 feet from me just staring at me. Surprised me that she never gave one of those inquisitive putts they like to do but just, finally, walked off. Six jakes and several hens total. They went to strutting and drumming. Particularly one that had to be the dominant jake never broke strut or quit drumming. I imagine they flogged any longbeard which may have been there...or one of you guys killed him! I'll try a different area my next time out but first I'd like to see this cold wet weather break...I'm tired of wearing long johns!

P.S. Funny thing about this morning. I sat for a good hour after flydown until they all vacated...even if I don't want to kill them, I don't want to spook them. Well...such was not the case. When I got up to slip out of there three more unseen hens, still on roost, flew off. Surprised me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts